Director: Michael Haneke
Running Time: 127 minutes
Hankies at the ready. Michael Haneke’s award-winning French language film Amour is an intimate and intense exploration of the sad fact that opening yourself up to love means you will suffer loss somewhere along the way.
Amour focuses on married octogenarians Georges (Jean-Louis Trintignant) and Anna (Emmanuelle Riva), whose lives are changed irreversibly when Anna suffers a series of strokes resulting in partial paralysis. Any hope of recovery is soon dashed as we witness her losing control of her body and mind.
Unafraid of his subject Haneke opens with the conclusion of the story; fireman breaking into the apartment and finding Anna’s corpse laid out in her best dress, surrounded by flowers like Millais’ painting of the drowning Ophelia. »
- Claire Joanne Huxham
Similar News ItemsMichael Haneke
- ‘Room’ and ‘Frank’ Director Lenny Abrahamson’s 10 Favorite Films (From The Film Stage. 3 February 2016, 12:49 PM, PST)
- Full Berlinale International Jury Revealed (From The Hollywood News. 2 February 2016, 3:55 AM, PST)
- Yves Montmayeur to explore feminism in Asian pop culture by Anne-Katrin Titze - 2016-01-20 15:22:20 (From eyeforfilm.co.uk. 20 January 2016, 7:22 AM, PST)
- First Look: Emma Thompson, Brendan Gleeson, 'Alone In Berlin' (From ScreenDaily. 1 February 2016, 12:30 AM, PST)
- First Look: Emma Thompson, Brendan Gleeson in 'Alone In Berlin' (From ScreenDaily. 1 February 2016, 12:30 AM, PST)
- Mikros Image Developing New ‘Asterix’ Movie (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 28 January 2016, 2:02 AM, PST)
- Watch: First Look at Paul Verhoeven’s ‘Elle’ Trailer, With Isabelle Huppert (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 6 February 2016, 3:27 AM, PST)
- Isabelle Huppert, Jeon Soo-il, Ounie Lecomte Talk About France, Korea Co-production (From Variety - Film News. 5 February 2016, 9:00 AM, PST)
- Watch: U.S. Trailer For Paul Verhoeven's Crowdsourced 'Tricked' (From The Playlist. 4 February 2016, 8:46 AM, PST)