A 1980s piece of anti-communist propaganda has been remade for the modern age. Did they have to?
Say what you will about John Milius's 1980s rightwing cold war flag-waver Red Dawn, at least it had the courage of its convictions. The new remake – released three years after completion, thanks to the MGM bankruptcy restructuring – can't even decide who its real enemies are. When it wrapped, the invading superpower was still Red China; in the interim, some wise suit remembered the billion-plus Chinese moviegoing market and decreed that the enemy should henceforth be North Korea, a black hole for Hollywood releases. Cue some retroactive digital adjustments – commie signage, uniforms, etc – a new opening voiceover, a couple of reshoots and, voila! – a new enemy. The late Kim Jong-il, a budding auteur himself, would have been charmed by the attention.
He might also have wondered, just as I did, what the hell was going on. »
- John Patterson
Similar News ItemsRed Dawn (1984)
- What do the cast of Back to the Future look like now? Michael J Fox, Christopher Lloyd, more (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 3 July 2015, 1:30 AM, PDT)
- 10 Family-Friendly Movies With Ridiculously High Body Counts (From Obsessed with Film. 13 May 2015, 2:02 PM, PDT)
- Hollywood and Broadway Legend Joel Grey Comes Out as Gay Man (From The Wrap. 28 January 2015, 9:17 AM, PST)
- Francis Ford Coppola Set To Preside Marrakech Film Festival’s Jury (From Variety - Film News. 29 June 2015, 3:53 AM, PDT)
- The Nightmare of 'Jaws': 10 on-set disasters that plagued Spielberg's 1975 classic (From Hitfix. 19 June 2015, 5:00 AM, PDT)
- Harry’s Disciples: ‘Magnum Force’ the Self-Critical Sequel (From SoundOnSight. 11 June 2015, 7:35 PM, PDT)
Revenge of the Nerds (1984)
- Ted Field’s Radar to Produce Crime Thriller ‘Brackish Water’ (From Variety - Film News. 23 July 2015, 1:31 PM, PDT)
- Ted Field’s Radar Pictures Expands with Microbudget Specialist Paul Kampf(Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 15 June 2015, 3:25 PM, PDT)
- Bradley Whitford Remembers ‘West Wing’ v. ‘Sopranos,’ Winning an Emmy (From Variety - TV News. 3 June 2015, 9:00 AM, PDT)