A 1980s piece of anti-communist propaganda has been remade for the modern age. Did they have to?
Say what you will about John Milius's 1980s rightwing cold war flag-waver Red Dawn, at least it had the courage of its convictions. The new remake – released three years after completion, thanks to the MGM bankruptcy restructuring – can't even decide who its real enemies are. When it wrapped, the invading superpower was still Red China; in the interim, some wise suit remembered the billion-plus Chinese moviegoing market and decreed that the enemy should henceforth be North Korea, a black hole for Hollywood releases. Cue some retroactive digital adjustments – commie signage, uniforms, etc – a new opening voiceover, a couple of reshoots and, voila! – a new enemy. The late Kim Jong-il, a budding auteur himself, would have been charmed by the attention.
He might also have wondered, just as I did, what the hell was going on. »
- John Patterson
Similar News ItemsRed Dawn (1984)
- Rainbow Coalition: Top 10 Movie Titles with Color and Substance (From SoundOnSight. 1 July 2014, 12:23 PM, PDT)
- Summer Movies Flashback 1984: Indiana Jones, Gremlins and Ghostbusters (From Hitfix. 2 June 2014, 12:50 PM, PDT)
- Director Of The Fast And The Furious Will Take On Road House Remake (From We Got This Covered. 25 November 2013, 11:13 AM, PST)
- News Shorts: November 1st 2014 (From Dark Horizons. 1 November 2014, 5:09 AM, PDT)
- Potd: See Seth Rogen as a Version of John Milius in ‘Zeroville’ (From Slash Film. 31 October 2014, 4:00 PM, PDT)
- Seth Rogen, Will Ferrell And More Join James Franco In ‘Zeroville’ (From The Hollywood News. 24 October 2014, 12:26 PM, PDT)
Revenge of the Nerds (1984)
- Revenge Of The Nerds Screening at Schlafly Bottleworks December 4th (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 24 November 2014, 7:30 PM, PST)
- Sliff 2014 Interview – King Baggot III, Grandson of the Silent Film Star From St. Louis (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 12 November 2014, 4:46 PM, PST)
- Nicholas Stoller talks 'Neighbors,' Rose Byrne gets nasty in Nsfw clip (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 19 September 2014, 9:00 AM, PDT)