With "Oz: The Great and Powerful" on track for the biggest box office debut of 2013 so far, Disney is already formulating plans for a sequel.
Variety reports that writer Mitchell Kapner ("The Whole Nine Yards") has been hired to work on a screenplay, but details on the plot remain strictly under wraps. It's unclear whether or not "Oz" cast members including James Franco, Michelle Williams, Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz and Zach Braff will be asked to return. Kapner is credited as a writer on "Oz" along with playwright David Lindsay-Abaire.
Disney's "Oz" is a sort-of-prequel to the 1939 classic "The Wizard of Oz," and both films were inspired by the work of author L. Frank Baum. Baum wrote 14 fantasy novels set in the Oz universe, so Disney could move in many different directions with a follow-up.
Disney is bullish on live action fairy tales at the moment. Projects in various stages »
Similar News ItemsJames Franco
- There Are No Answers To Be Found in This New Clip From The Vault (From Dread Central. 21 August 2017, 1:49 PM, PDT)
- The Vault: James Franco Tells No Lies in Nsfw Clip (From Comingsoon.net. 21 August 2017, 1:02 PM, PDT)
- Film Critics Name Their Most Anticipated Movies of the Fall — IndieWire Critics Survey (From Indiewire. 21 August 2017, 12:04 PM, PDT)
- Where Celebs Vacation for Labor Day Weekend (From E! Online. 21 August 2017, 1:44 PM, PDT)
- Belated Paychecks with America's Highest Paid Spokes-Actresses (From FilmExperience. 19 August 2017, 4:10 AM, PDT)
- Newswire: Emma Stone dethrones Jennifer Lawrence on Forbes’ list of highest-paid actresses (From The AV Club. 17 August 2017, 2:40 PM, PDT)
Michelle Williams (I)
- The Weinstein Company Pushes ‘Mary Magdalene’ Starring Rooney Mara & Joaquin Phoenix To 2018 (From The Playlist. 21 August 2017, 11:35 AM, PDT)
- How Issa Rae's 'Insecure' Misadventures Turned Into One of the Best Sitcoms (From Rolling Stone. 21 August 2017, 7:25 AM, PDT)
- Oscars: Clint Eastwood, Steven Spielberg, Ridley Scott Race to the Finish (From Variety - Film News. 18 August 2017, 12:04 PM, PDT)