In the final days of World War II, after the Germans had surrendered in Europe, the Japanese still fought hard thinking they could win. Even after numerous bombing raids on Tokyo and of course, the flight of the Enola Gay, Japan's surrender was always one of condition as set forth by Emperor Hirohito in hopes that some honor could be salvaged in a country where honor is more important that anything else.
Emperor is a film that picks up right after the Japanese surrendered aboard the U.S.S. Missouri in 1945. General Douglas MacArthur (Tommy Lee Jones), along with a handful of selected general's, military staffers, and MPs are flying to Tokyo to begin the occupation, and the investigation of the principal actors in Japan's hierarchy for the inevitable trials for war crimes.
General Bonner Fellers (Matthew Fox) serves under MacArthur and had spent five years in Japan before the attack on Pearl Harbor. »
Similar News Items"Lost" (2004)
- FX's The Strain: Will It Catch On? (From TVLine.com. 13 July 2014, 8:40 PM, PDT)
- The Strain Series Premiere Recap: “Night Zero” (From Collider.com. 13 July 2014, 8:30 PM, PDT)
- 'The Leftovers' Recap: No Man Is an Island (From Rolling Stone. 13 July 2014, 8:05 PM, PDT)
Tommy Lee Jones
- Harrison Ford's 7 Greatest Roles (From Entertainment Tonight. 13 July 2014, 6:58 PM, PDT)
- Channing Tatum Really Hates Mirrors In This Incredible New Foxcatcher Trailer (From Cinema Blend. 2 July 2014, 3:35 PM, PDT)
- EuropaCorp’s Full-Year Results: Revenue Rise 14%, Net Profit Fall 19.4% (From Variety - Film News. 28 June 2014, 5:30 AM, PDT)
Matthew Fox (I)
- Is the Boring Gateway Character Worth It? (From SoundOnSight. 13 July 2014, 7:50 AM, PDT)
- Jennifer Love Hewitt Joins 'Criminal Minds' Cast For The Fall (From Uinterview. 1 July 2014, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- Cannes: After Hitting Bottom, Spanish Fortunes Rise Again (From Variety - Film News. 16 May 2014, 2:53 PM, PDT)