Taking on a prequel to the fairytale that frightened generations, Sam does scary. And does it well.
"Oz the Great and Powerful" is a winning back-engineering of the Oz fantasy, a "How the Wizard got to be wonderful" romp that is a stunning update "The Wizard of Oz's" effects, and the most gorgeous use of 3-D since "Alice in Wonderland."
Screenwriters Mitchell Kapner and David Lindsay-Abaire manage just enough whimsy to make the movie's two hours pass without irritation. Raimi, having cut his teeth on horror and brought "Spider-Man" to life, was the right guy to make this emerald-tinted world pop off the 3-D screen.
But the cast, plainly packed with second or third choices, lets it down. »
Similar News ItemsJames Franco
- Amber Heard To Co-Star In ‘Magic Mike 2′ (From Deadline New York. 19 September 2014, 10:29 AM, PDT)
- Amber Heard Joins Channing Tatum in ‘Magic Mike Xxl’ (From Variety - Film News. 19 September 2014, 9:53 AM, PDT)
- Lady Gaga's Freaky Face Mask, James Franco's Under Eye Treatment and More Unglamorous Celeb Moments—See the Pics! (From E! Online. 18 September 2014, 12:58 PM, PDT)
Tim Burton (I)
- Sales of Margaret Keane Paintings Soar Ahead of Tim Burton Film Release (From The Hollywood Reporter. 19 September 2014, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- Tokyo to screen Big Eyes footage (From ScreenDaily. 19 September 2014, 4:46 AM, PDT)
- Mamoru Oshii Gets Double Billing in Tokyo Festival’s Special Screenings Section (From Variety - Film News. 19 September 2014, 4:12 AM, PDT)
- Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher Hold Hands While Grabbing Breakfast in L.A.: See the Cute Pda Pic! (From E! Online. 17 September 2014, 4:41 PM, PDT)
- Mila Kunis Wears Tiny Spandex Shorts in Last Month of Pregnancy: Pictures (From Us Weekly. 17 September 2014, 12:40 PM, PDT)
- Pregnant Mila Kunis Flaunts Baby Bump in Super Short Shorts as Countdown to Due Date Continues (From E! Online. 17 September 2014, 11:48 AM, PDT)