'These are the remains of Luke Skywalker's childhood home, as seen at the start of Star Wars'
This is part of a project that began when I was using Google Maps to look at Chott el Djerid, the great salt desert in Tunisia. Intriguingly, someone had attached a photograph of some crumbling plaster to the online map with the strange caption: "There is no more English Patient." I discovered that The English Patient had been shot there – and Star Wars.
As I researched further, I found out that it wasn't uncommon for Hollywood and European productions to abandon sets in deserts. In Morocco, there are huge re-creations of ancient Rome and Greece, plus a fake Mecca. There's also a replica of an American gas station, which a homeless guy has moved into. Over time, they become almost like archaeological sites.
So in September 2010, I spent a month travelling around Chott el Djerid. »
- Sarah Phillips
Similar News ItemsStar Wars (1977)
- Disney CEO Won't Get Cocky Over Early Star Wars: The Forces Awakens Box Office Estimates (From ComicBookMovie. 5 August 2015, 5:32 AM, PDT)
- Disney’s Bob Iger plays down Star Wars: The Force Awakens box office predictions (From Flickeringmyth. 5 August 2015, 4:58 AM, PDT)
- Star Wars: Battlefront gets 20 player aerial combat with Fighter Squadron mode, check out the gameplay trailer here (From Flickeringmyth. 5 August 2015, 4:24 AM, PDT)
The English Patient (1996)
- First Trailer For The 33 Stars Juliette Binoche, Antonio Banderas And Gabriel Byrne (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 29 July 2015, 2:12 PM, PDT)
- Investors Explore Sale Of Miramax For As Much As $1B: Report (From Deadline TV. 17 July 2015, 5:10 PM, PDT)
- Investors Explore Sale Of Miramax For As Much As $1B: Report (From Deadline. 17 July 2015, 5:10 PM, PDT)
- Poster for 53rd New York Film Festival Designed by Laurie Anderson (From FirstShowing.net. 4 August 2015, 3:16 PM, PDT)
- Dressed to kill by Anne-Katrin Titze (From eyeforfilm.co.uk. 5 July 2015, 5:05 AM, PDT)
- Changing attire by Anne-Katrin Titze (From eyeforfilm.co.uk. 18 June 2015, 5:39 AM, PDT)