'These are the remains of Luke Skywalker's childhood home, as seen at the start of Star Wars'
This is part of a project that began when I was using Google Maps to look at Chott el Djerid, the great salt desert in Tunisia. Intriguingly, someone had attached a photograph of some crumbling plaster to the online map with the strange caption: "There is no more English Patient." I discovered that The English Patient had been shot there – and Star Wars.
As I researched further, I found out that it wasn't uncommon for Hollywood and European productions to abandon sets in deserts. In Morocco, there are huge re-creations of ancient Rome and Greece, plus a fake Mecca. There's also a replica of an American gas station, which a homeless guy has moved into. Over time, they become almost like archaeological sites.
So in September 2010, I spent a month travelling around Chott el Djerid. »
- Sarah Phillips
Similar News ItemsStar Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
- Horror Channel FrightFest 2016 Review – Sadako vs. Kayako (2016) (From Flickeringmyth. 28 August 2016, 2:00 AM, PDT)
- New images from Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (From Flickeringmyth. 28 August 2016, 1:20 AM, PDT)
- ‘Star Wars Rogue One’ Trailer Gets Even Better When You Add the Beastie Boys — Watch (From Indiewire. 27 August 2016, 3:03 PM, PDT)
The English Patient (1996)
- From Dusk Till Dawn Season 3 Premiere Episode to Debut 2 Weeks Early for Free on Digital HD (From DailyDead. 22 August 2016, 9:38 AM, PDT)
- Vanishing point by Anne-Katrin Titze (From eyeforfilm.co.uk. 4 August 2016, 5:25 AM, PDT)
- Fantasy Studios Unveils State-of-the-Art Mixing Theater (From Variety - Film News. 26 July 2016, 8:32 AM, PDT)
- 54th New York Film Festival poster revealed by Anne-Katrin Titze - 2016-08-15 15:50:58 (From eyeforfilm.co.uk. 15 August 2016, 7:50 AM, PDT)
- All to play for by Anne-Katrin Titze (From eyeforfilm.co.uk. 15 July 2016, 7:21 AM, PDT)
- Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom Spotted on 'Low-Key' Night Out: 'They Were Really Sweet with Each Other (From PEOPLE.com. 5 July 2016, 12:30 PM, PDT)