The holy grail of customer satisfaction as well as an artistic taboo, the happy ending can be played out in many ways. Which films would you add to this list?
This week Clip joint is from John Carvill, who previously wrote on subjects as varied as taking the train and 'meet cutes'. If you've got an idea for a future clip joint, email email@example.com.
During a key scene in The Player, Robert Altman's shrewdly meta-fictional Hollywood movie about how Hollywood makes movies, studio executive Griffin Mill (Tim Robbins) languidly enumerates to June Gudmundsdottir (Greta Scacchi), the elements a script needs if it is to become one of the dozen or so per year that Griffin's studio can green light for production: "Suspense, laughter, violence … hope, heart … nudity, sex … happy endings." Griffin pauses, then concludes: "Mainly happy endings."
Happy endings, being both a holy grail of »
- Guardian readers
Similar News ItemsDavid Bowie (I)
- Beth Howland, Vera on Alice, Passes Away at 74 (From MovieWeb. 25 May 2016, 3:33 PM, PDT)
- Edinburgh Film Festival Chief Mark Adams Unveils 70th Edition (From Variety - Film News. 25 May 2016, 2:00 AM, PDT)
- TV News Roundup: ‘Real Housewives of Orange County,’ ‘Amber Rose Show’ Set Premiere Dates (From Variety - TV News. 23 May 2016, 5:13 PM, PDT)
Tim Robbins (I)
- Tim Robbins: Bernie Sanders Speaks to Same ‘Anger and Resentment’ As Trump (From Mediaite - TV. 25 May 2016, 11:05 AM, PDT)
- Recommended Discs & Deals: ‘The Player,’ ‘Manhunter,’ ‘A Married Woman,’ and More (From The Film Stage. 24 May 2016, 8:28 AM, PDT)
- Spotify Nearly Doubles Revenue in 2015 (From The Wrap. 23 May 2016, 2:22 PM, PDT)
The Wizard of Oz (1939)
- Judy by the Numbers: "The Trolley Song" (From FilmExperience. 25 May 2016, 5:01 AM, PDT)
- ‘Scrap Garden’ Review – Mechanically Moving (From SoundOnSight. 23 May 2016, 2:53 PM, PDT)
- From Lee Daniels to ‘Downward Dog': TV Ad Buyers Predict Best/Worst New Series (From The Wrap. 20 May 2016, 2:31 PM, PDT)