-- "Oz the Great and Powerful" aims for nostalgia in older viewers who grew up on "The Wizard of Oz" and still hold the classic dear while simultaneously enchanting a newer, younger audience. It never really accomplishes either successfully.
A prequel to the groundbreaking 1939 film, "Oz" can be very pretty but also overlong and repetitive, with a plot that's more plodding that dazzling. Director Sam Raimi also is trying to find his own balance here between creating a big-budget, 3-D blockbuster and placing his signature stamp of kitschy, darkly humorous horror. He's done the lavish CGI thing before, with diminishing results, in the "Spider-Man" trilogy, but here he has the daunting task of doing so while mining an even more treasured pop -culture phenomenon.
The results are understandably inconsistent. "Oz" features a couple of fun performances, a handful of witty lines, some clever details and spectacular costumes. And it's all »
Similar News ItemsJames Franco
- Speed Read: Kanye Asked James Franco to Perform "Bound 3" at His Wedding (From Popsugar. 23 April 2014, 6:39 AM, PDT)
- The Landscape of Locke (From HeyUGuys. 23 April 2014, 4:00 AM, PDT)
- Kanye West Wanted James Franco, Seth Rogen to Perform "Bound 2" Parody at Kim Kardashian Wedding! (From E! Online. 22 April 2014, 1:02 PM, PDT)
Tim Burton (I)
- Watch the New ’Batman Beyond’ Animated Short by Darwyn Cooke (From Screen Rant. 19 April 2014, 11:30 PM, PDT)
- Your Top Three: Johnny Depp Movies (From Movies.com. 18 April 2014, 7:00 PM, PDT)
- 87th Academy Awards Dates and Early Predictions: Another Streep? (From Alt Film Guide. 18 April 2014, 5:07 PM, PDT)
- You Decided: See People's Real Beauty at Every Age Winners (From PEOPLE.com. 23 April 2014, 6:00 PM, PDT)
- You Decided: See People's Real Beauty at Every Age Winners (From PEOPLE.com. 23 April 2014, 6:00 AM, PDT)
- Mila Kunis Shows Off Growing Baby Bump, Kourtney Kardashian Wears Bootylicious Swimsuit: Top Stories (From Us Weekly. 23 April 2014, 2:31 AM, PDT)