Odd List Ryan Lambie 6 Mar 2013 - 06:48
With Robot & Frank out this week in the UK, here’s a look at a few of cinema’s other great robot butlers...
It’s telling that the word ‘robot’ - coined by Josef Capek and first appearing in print in his brother Karel’s play Rossum’s Universal Robots in 1920 - is derived from the Czech word for ‘labour’. Stories of artificial people and automata have appeared in stories for centuries, and it’s often the case that these inhuman constructs are given tasks that their human masters wouldn’t want to do themselves. From the factory-produced workers of Capek’s Rur mentioned above to the eerily blank David in Prometheus, the notion of the robotic servant is a familiar one in science fiction.
It’s a theme touched on in this year’s Robot & Frank, a moving sci-fi drama about an »
Similar News ItemsStar Wars (1977)
- ‘Star Wars’ Sets in Tunisia Are Safe From Terrorists, Say Tourism Officials (From The Wrap. 26 March 2015, 5:01 PM, PDT)
- Simon Pegg Promises To Bring Back “Frontierism And Adventure” For Star Trek 3 (From We Got This Covered. 26 March 2015, 4:36 PM, PDT)
- 'Star Wars' Celebration Adds Spinoff Directors Trank & Edwards (From MovieWeb. 26 March 2015, 3:45 PM, PDT)
- Joel Silver’s Dream Venice Post Office Project Is Stalled and In Debt (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 26 March 2015, 6:23 PM, PDT)
- Every Sylvester Stallone Kill In One Epic Supercut (From Cinema Blend. 26 March 2015, 9:18 AM, PDT)
- Mario Kassar interview: Carolco, Bot, Hollywood (From Den of Geek. 23 March 2015, 4:28 AM, PDT)
Robin Williams (I)
- The Wake: Part 1 by Neil Gaiman | Sandman Meditations (From Boomtron. 25 March 2015, 8:21 AM, PDT)
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Recap: 'My Jam Monday' and the First Elimination (From Moviefone. 24 March 2015, 3:30 AM, PDT)
- Meet Sheila Vand: Artist, Cinephile and Star of 'A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night,' Now on VOD (From Thompson on Hollywood. 20 March 2015, 1:19 PM, PDT)