Over the weekend, "Jack the Giant Slayer" was estimated to make around $28 million at the North American box-office. It was deemed too low for a tentpole picture especially Warner Bros. Pictures forked nearly $200 million to produce the over-budgeted flick.
Well, we now have word per THR that the final tally was actually lower. More like $27.2 million, yikes!
"Jack the Giant Slayer" is following the footsteps of last year's big bloated event, Universal's "Battleship." Sure, "Jack" is much, much better than the Hasbro adventure, but still. ("Jack the Giant Slayer" movie review)
In general, all the new releases last weekend under-performed and underwhelmed. The trio of "21 & Over," "The Last Exorcism Part II," and "Phantom" all flopped. Including "Jack," the new flicks were no match to "Dr. Seuss' The Lorax" which opened the same weekend last year.
Here's the Top 10 Box-Office films for weekend of March 1st:
1. "Jack the Giant Slayer," $27.2 million. »
Similar News ItemsWarner Bros. [us]
- Resident Evil reboot will be six films and produced by James Wan (From Flickeringmyth. 23 May 2017, 1:02 AM, PDT)
- Fox TV, ProSiebenSat.1 Extend Licensing Agreement (Exclusive) (From Variety - TV News. 23 May 2017, 12:30 AM, PDT)
- Zack Snyder steps down from Justice League after family tragedy; Joss Whedon will finish film (From HeyUGuys. 22 May 2017, 11:52 PM, PDT)
Silver Linings Playbook (2012)
- Dark Universe revealed, Uncharted movie casting, Han Solo set video and more – Daily News Roundup (From Flickeringmyth. 22 May 2017, 11:56 PM, PDT)
- Mongrel picks up 'Adventures Of A Mathematician' (From ScreenDaily. 19 May 2017, 11:00 PM, PDT)
- 'The Emoji Movie' Star T.J. Miller Explains Why the Movie Isn't What You're Expecting (From Fandango. 16 May 2017, 6:17 AM, PDT)
A Good Day to Die Hard (2013)
- Consider With Reservations: The Stars of Quantity Over Quality Cinema (From FilmSchoolRejects. 20 April 2017, 12:51 PM, PDT)
- The 50 Greatest Car Chases in Film: Part 1 (From Cinelinx. 12 April 2017, 8:21 AM, PDT)
- I.T. Review (From HeyUGuys. 9 March 2017, 6:47 AM, PST)