Over the weekend, "Jack the Giant Slayer" was estimated to make around $28 million at the North American box-office. It was deemed too low for a tentpole picture especially Warner Bros. Pictures forked nearly $200 million to produce the over-budgeted flick.
Well, we now have word per THR that the final tally was actually lower. More like $27.2 million, yikes!
"Jack the Giant Slayer" is following the footsteps of last year's big bloated event, Universal's "Battleship." Sure, "Jack" is much, much better than the Hasbro adventure, but still. ("Jack the Giant Slayer" movie review)
In general, all the new releases last weekend under-performed and underwhelmed. The trio of "21 & Over," "The Last Exorcism Part II," and "Phantom" all flopped. Including "Jack," the new flicks were no match to "Dr. Seuss' The Lorax" which opened the same weekend last year.
Here's the Top 10 Box-Office films for weekend of March 1st:
1. "Jack the Giant Slayer," $27.2 million. »
Similar News ItemsWarner Bros. [us]
- 'Shazam' Is Part of DC's 'Justice League' Movie Universe (From MovieWeb. 26 December 2014, 5:44 AM, PST)
- 15 Things You Didn’t Know About Nicolas Cage (From Obsessed with Film. 26 December 2014, 4:49 AM, PST)
- 15 Failed Comic Book TV Shows That Only Lasted One Episode (From Obsessed with Film. 26 December 2014, 1:09 AM, PST)
Silver Linings Playbook (2012)
- Spotlight on the Stars: Bradley Cooper (From Hollywoodnews.com. 24 December 2014, 1:24 PM, PST)
- ‘American Sniper’ Trailer: Bradley Cooper At His Best? (From Deadline New York. 18 December 2014, 11:03 AM, PST)
- Free Advice From the Oscar-Winning Producer of ‘American Beauty’ and ‘Silver Linings Playbook’ (From FilmSchoolRejects. 18 December 2014, 10:30 AM, PST)
A Good Day to Die Hard (2013)
- Taken 3 Becomes A 12A (From EmpireOnline. 19 December 2014, 7:50 AM, PST)
- Taken 3 cut to get a 12A rating in the UK (From Den of Geek. 18 December 2014, 5:19 AM, PST)
- The strange history of the Die Hard movies (From Den of Geek. 9 December 2014, 5:13 AM, PST)