Ambition is the lifeblood that drives so many great filmmakers to make amazing films, and it’s often the very same motivation that causes some filmmakers to, against their best intentions, not quite hit the mark, or in the worst of times (Waterworld) produce a complete flop.
Ambition isn’t something to be sniffed at, though naturally, we’ll lavish praise on a filmmaker for pulling off the seemingly impossible and label them as pretentious if they can’t do it.
If these 10 films range in quality somewhat – though all of them have at least some intrinsic merit – they can’t be faulted for their enthusiasm to push the film medium further than it has ever gone, regardless of whether they were completely successful.
Either by upsetting the narrative form, innovating with technology, or simply boasting a stupid budget upon which to stage a grand spectacle, these films threw caution »
- Shaun Munro
Similar News ItemsJames Cameron (I)
- Film Review: ‘Hercules’ (From Variety - Film News. 23 July 2014, 6:20 PM, PDT)
- Deauville to honour Will Ferrell (From ScreenDaily. 23 July 2014, 5:11 AM, PDT)
- 40th Deauville American Film Festival to Fete ‘King of Comedy’ Will Ferrell (From Variety - Film News. 23 July 2014, 3:42 AM, PDT)
- Mindy Newell: EW Does Sdcc (From Comicmix. 21 July 2014, 5:00 AM, PDT)
- Katie Holmes And Ryan Reynolds Film 'Woman In Gold' (From Uinterview. 20 July 2014, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- Close Up: The Best Movie Moments from Terry Gilliam (From HeyUGuys. 18 July 2014, 5:06 AM, PDT)
- Actor James Garner Dead at 86 (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 20 July 2014, 6:18 AM, PDT)
- James Garner, 'Rockford Files' & 'The Notebook' Actor, Dies At 86 (From Uinterview. 19 July 2014, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- Able to Disable: Top 10 Oscar-Winning Disability-Bound Movie Characters (From SoundOnSight. 12 July 2014, 10:15 PM, PDT)