Thanks to a 25 per cent tax credit on all production costs, the Ontario-based film production industry logged in 273 productions in 2012, bringing in $1.28 billion to the provincial economy.
In British Columbia, pleas from the entertainment community have fallen on deaf ears as out-of-touch BC Premier Christy Clark continues to turn down requests for more generous film credits to counter the effects of a high dollar and tough competition from other jurisdictions. The BC film tax credit is currently set at 33 per cent of labor costs only. Misguided Clark recently told the BC industry, she believes other provinces will soon 'abandon' such 'rich benefits' for the film industry.
But that doesn't seem likely in Ontario where creative players on both sides of the camera in 2012 helped to bring in $968.8 million in TV production alone. Domestic production brought in $698.8 from weekly TV series series including "Lost Girl", "Rookie Blue" and "Degrassi".
Foreign TV series shooting in Toronto, »
- Michael Stevens
Similar News Items"Rookie Blue" (2010)
- Orphan Black Casts Superfan Patrick J. Adams (From TVLine.com. 10 December 2013, 4:41 PM, PST)
- Danny Wells, Luigi on 'Super Mario Bros.' TV show, dies (From EW.com - Inside TV. 4 December 2013, 7:10 PM, PST)
- Get Bitten by this Season 1 Launch Trailer for Syfy's New Series (From Dread Central. 2 December 2013, 11:35 AM, PST)
"Lost Girl" (2010)
- Syfy's Lost Girl and Being Human for Monday lineup in January 2014 (Videos) (From Monsters and Critics. 10 December 2013, 8:43 AM, PST)
- Cancelled or Renewed? Status of Syfy, TBS, TNT, TV Land, USA, and VH1 TV Shows (From TVSeriesFinale. 8 December 2013, 3:46 PM, PST)
- Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Once, New Girl, H50, Haven, Arrow, S.H.I.E.L.D, Mentalist, Reign & More (From TVLine.com. 5 December 2013, 11:55 AM, PST)