Frankfort, Ky. — U.S. Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell is gearing up for a tough re-election fight next year in Kentucky.
He wants to prevent one, too.
McConnell is trying to head off a Gop primary challenge by cozying up to the tea party. He's also trying to scare off potential Democratic contenders – actress Ashley Judd is one – by providing a glimpse of his no-holds-barred political tactics.
The strategy seems to be working, so far. No serious Republican opponent has emerged. Democrats haven't fielded a candidate yet, though Judd, a Kentucky native who lives in Tennessee, is considering a run. She would have to re-establish a residence in Kentucky before she could challenge McConnell.
The lack of an opponent hasn't kept McConnell from sounding an alarm over his potential vulnerability. It's a tactic rooted in reality and intended to help raise money.
"We know that President Obama's allies in »
Similar News ItemsBarack Obama
- Brian Boitano comes out as gay ahead of Sochi Olympics in Russia (From Pop2it. 19 December 2013, 3:15 PM, PST)
- Brian Boitano Comes Out as Gay (From PEOPLE.com. 19 December 2013, 2:15 PM, PST)
- Brian Boitano Comes Out As Gay Ahead Of Sochi Olympics (From HollywoodLife. 19 December 2013, 12:31 PM, PST)
- Four Shows 'It' to 'Amazed' Tris Prior In First Divergent Clip (From Alt Film Guide. 19 December 2013, 3:12 PM, PST)
- First Film Clip From ‘Divergent’ (From LatinoReview. 19 December 2013, 1:45 PM, PST)
- Divergent: Theo James shows his tattoo in first clip - watch (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 19 December 2013, 8:54 AM, PST)
- Who Won The Voice Last Night? (From Popsugar. 18 December 2013, 6:32 AM, PST)
- 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics: Billie Jean King joins U.S. delegation (From Pop2it. 17 December 2013, 11:00 PM, PST)
- Netflix CEO offers Obama 'House of Cards' cameo: 5 other shows the Potus should guest-star on (From Zap2It - From Inside the Box. 17 December 2013, 8:30 PM, PST)