Veterans of the 1945 general election explain how much Labour's victory meant
Eileen Thompson, 90, Southport, Merseyside: 'It tickled me that they had a run on false teeth'
"My father worked in cotton in Liverpool. He belonged to the union; he wanted justice for the working man. He used to take me down the docks to get the men organised, and they'd say, 'Here's Johnny and the kid.'
"The poverty was dreadful. In class, the teacher read out the register and if a child hadn't been in to school the day before, it was always for the same reason: they had stayed in bed while their mother washed their only set of clothes."
When Eileen was a nurse, her hospital in Liverpool was hit by two bombs.
"I always remember the second … it was on 3 May 1941. Babies born that day were killed with their mothers. Mr Grey, the surgeon, had not »
- Yvonne Roberts
Similar News ItemsRay Davies (I)
- Is Star Wars 8 Luke Skywalker's Final Movie? (From MovieWeb. 27 June 2016, 1:57 PM, PDT)
- Mark Hamill clarifies his Star Wars future (From Den of Geek. 26 June 2016, 10:15 PM, PDT)
- NYC Weekend Watch: Andrzej Żuławski, ‘Leviathan,’ Chris Marker & More (From The Film Stage. 18 February 2016, 8:53 PM, PST)
Sam Watts (II)
- Wizards Vs Aliens series 2 launch report (From Den of Geek. 27 October 2013, 11:51 PM, PDT)
- The HeyUGuys Interview: Twenty questions with Ken Loach about The Spirit of ’45 (From HeyUGuys. 14 March 2013, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- The Spirit of '45: where did it go? (From The Guardian - Film News. 2 March 2013, 8:00 AM, PST)