On a chilly rainy evening on Tuesday, February 26, at the French Institute Alliance Française in New York City as part of their series When Boy Meets Girl: The Cinema of Léos Carax, the filmmaker's first Us retrospective, Carax came for a Q&A with Richard Brody, film critic for The New Yorker. Following a screening of Holy Motors, the two men conversed on stage, dressed in coats of brown and grey, sunglasses and beard covering the top and bottom half of their respective faces respectively, resembling Samuel Beckett characters not waiting for Godot.
Brody almost started with the beginning.
Richard Brody: You had written as a critic for a little while at Cahiers Du Cinéma?
Léos Carax: A very little while. I was not a critic. I wrote a few things, but it was not my thing.
Rb: Were you a cinephile growing up, watching lots and lots of movies? »
- Anne-Katrin Titze
Similar News ItemsHoly Motors (2012)
- Recommended Discs & Deals: Whit Stillman Trilogy, ‘The Revenant,’ Francis Ford Coppola, and More (From The Film Stage. 19 April 2016, 9:45 AM, PDT)
- Recommended Discs & Deals of the Week: ‘Suspicion,’ ‘Only Angels Have Wings,’ and More (From The Film Stage. 12 April 2016, 7:05 AM, PDT)
- Kylie Minogue, Guy Pearce reunite in Stephan Elliott's Flammable Children (From IF.com.au. 11 April 2016, 4:24 PM, PDT)
- ‘The Night Manager’ Review: John le Carré Adaptation With Hugh Laurie & Tom Hiddleston Is Great TV (From Deadline TV. 13 April 2016, 3:54 PM, PDT)
- The rundown on Samuel Beckett and Buster Keaton's tribute to silent chase comedies (From The Guardian - Film News. 11 April 2016, 1:44 AM, PDT)
- “Cinema as Territory”: An Interview with Mark Cousins (From Flickeringmyth. 10 April 2016, 3:50 PM, PDT)
- Grease: Live Kicks Off With 'Summer Nights' — Grade the First Big Number (From TVLine.com. 31 January 2016, 4:17 PM, PST)
- Fifty Shades Of Black Review (From We Got This Covered. 30 January 2016, 8:22 AM, PST)
- 'Carol,' 'Transparent' Lead 2016 GLAAD Media Award Nominations (From Moviefone. 27 January 2016, 10:45 AM, PST)