President warns Us to prepare for drawn-out standoff after futile meeting with congressional leaders over scheduled cuts
Barack Obama is due to sign an order before midnight on Friday to implement $85bn in spending cuts, a move he described as "dumb" and "arbitrary" and that he blamed on the intransigence of Republicans in Congress.
Speaking at a White House press conference after a futile meeting with congressional leaders, Obama warned Americans to prepare for a drawn-out confrontation that could last for months and will be painful for working-class people.
"We will get through this. This is not going to be an apocalypse, I think as some people have said," Obama said. "It's just dumb. And it's going to hurt. It's going to hurt individual people and it's going to hurt the economy overall," he said.
Federal agencies will spend the weekend redrawing their budget plans and beginning the process of »
- Ewen MacAskill
Similar News ItemsBarack Obama
- Tribeca 2014: ‘All About Ann’ profiles unlikeliest politician in Texas history (From SoundOnSight. 19 April 2014, 12:23 PM, PDT)
- Justin Bieber -- Used by the White House to Plug Immigration Reform (From TMZ. 18 April 2014, 4:15 PM, PDT)
- 'Devious Maids': Five ideas for plot twists this season (From EW.com - PopWatch. 18 April 2014, 2:31 PM, PDT)
Star Wars (1977)
- Giveaway – Win Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell on Blu-ray (From Flickeringmyth. 20 April 2014, 1:49 AM, PDT)
- Meme: Bryan Singer Claims Proof of Innocence, Jon Hamm Slams Bieber, “Parenthood” Coming Out Altered By Crew Reactions (From The Backlot. 19 April 2014, 9:06 PM, PDT)
- An Easter Trivia Challenge: The Cinelinx Quotation Game (From Cinelinx. 19 April 2014, 8:27 PM, PDT)
- Meme: Derrick Gordon’s Coming Out Gets Mixed Reactions, Jenny McCarthy Says She’s Not Anti-Vaccine, Barbra Streisand Responds To Larry Kramer (From The Backlot. 12 April 2014, 9:33 PM, PDT)
- An Infant's Cancer Fight Gets a Lift from a Polar Plunge (From PEOPLE.com. 11 April 2014, 7:25 AM, PDT)
- Jimmy Kimmel's State of the Union prank: 'I support the weird tie' (From Pop2it. 29 January 2014, 11:15 AM, PST)