President warns Us to prepare for drawn-out standoff after futile meeting with congressional leaders over scheduled cuts
Barack Obama is due to sign an order before midnight on Friday to implement $85bn in spending cuts, a move he described as "dumb" and "arbitrary" and that he blamed on the intransigence of Republicans in Congress.
Speaking at a White House press conference after a futile meeting with congressional leaders, Obama warned Americans to prepare for a drawn-out confrontation that could last for months and will be painful for working-class people.
"We will get through this. This is not going to be an apocalypse, I think as some people have said," Obama said. "It's just dumb. And it's going to hurt. It's going to hurt individual people and it's going to hurt the economy overall," he said.
Federal agencies will spend the weekend redrawing their budget plans and beginning the process of »
- Ewen MacAskill
Similar News ItemsBarack Obama
- Obama Gives ‘Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey’ a Big Blast Off (watch!) (From TheImproper.com. 9 March 2014, 7:52 PM, PDT)
- President Obama wants you to tune in for 'Cosmos' tonight: Watch his intro message (From Hitfix. 9 March 2014, 7:44 PM, PDT)
- President Obama’s ‘Cosmos’ Introduction On 10 Fox Networks Group Channels: Video (From Deadline TV. 9 March 2014, 6:32 PM, PDT)
Star Wars (1977)
- Sunday To Sunday - Transformers 4 & A Change Of Plans For The Avengers Age Of Ultron (From ComicBookMovie. 9 March 2014, 2:32 PM, PDT)
- R2-D2 Gets a Major Upgrade in Fan Art (From GeekTyrant. 9 March 2014, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Children of a Linker God (From FilmExperience. 9 March 2014, 6:33 AM, PDT)
- Jimmy Kimmel's State of the Union prank: 'I support the weird tie' (From Pop2it. 29 January 2014, 11:15 AM, PST)
- State of the Union 2014: President Obama's tough talk (From EW.com - PopWatch. 29 January 2014, 8:35 AM, PST)
- John Boehner's Tan at State of the Union, Explained (From Us Weekly. 29 January 2014, 8:01 AM, PST)