Allen Hughes's Manhattan thriller is a facsimile of a hundred better crime movies
Travel south out of Chinatown, and you'll eventually wash up in Broken City, a pre-fab facsimile of a hundred better crime movies. Allen Hughes's thriller is awash with dodgy land deals, flashing police lights and helicopter shots over nocturnal Manhattan.
It's got Russell Crowe as a disreputable mayor, gulping neat scotch at his desk and complaining that "civilsation's gone to pieces". It's got Mark Wahlberg as the half-bright private investigator, played for a fool before seeing the light.
It's stolid, it's dogged, it knows where it's going. Back and forth around the same old scenery.
ThrillerCrimeMark WahlbergXan Brooks
guardian.co.uk © 2013 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds »
- Xan Brooks
Similar News ItemsRussell Crowe
- The Week in Spandex - Man of Steel, Avengers vs X-Men, The Wolverine, Justice League, Iron Man 3 and more (From Flickeringmyth. 25 May 2013, 6:28 AM, PDT)
- "Superman: Man Of Steel"- New Beefcake Footage (From SneakPeek. 25 May 2013, 4:15 AM, PDT)
- Man of Steel Hardees TV Spot and New Poster (From MovieWeb. 24 May 2013, 4:02 PM, PDT)
Mark Wahlberg (I)
- George Clooney Parties in London While Stacy Keibler Hangs Back in Monaco (From Popsugar. 25 May 2013, 6:53 AM, PDT)
- TV Tidbits: Seth MacFarlane Heads To Guys Choice Awards, FX's The Bridge Gets Premiere Date (From Access Hollywood. 24 May 2013, 1:02 PM, PDT)
- Transformers 4 Is Seeking Extras in Detroit (From MovieWeb. 24 May 2013, 9:40 AM, PDT)
Broken City (2013)
- Park Chan-wook's Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance Being Remade (From GeekTyrant. 22 May 2013, 9:01 AM, PDT)
- Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance Remake is Moving Forward (From Worst Previews. 22 May 2013, 3:31 AM, PDT)
- First ‘Oldboy’, Now ‘Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance’ English-Language Remake Coming (From LatinoReview. 22 May 2013, 12:34 AM, PDT)