Michael Moore got into a heated debate with BuzzFeed Monday night, after the website accused him of overhyping the recent detention of a Palestinian filmmaker at the Los Angeles airport.
Emad Burnat, who was nominated for an Oscar for his documentary "5 Broken Cameras," said on Tuesday that he had been held at Lax for 90 minutes after customs officials said he did not have the right papers to enter the country. Moore, who became involved in getting Burnat released, wrote a series of tweets saying that Lax staff told Burnat he did not have proof that he was going to the Oscars, even after the director showed his invitation. "Apparently the Immigration & Customs officers couldn't understand how a Palestinian could be an Oscar nominee," he tweeted.
Burnat also appeared on HuffPostLive to talk about his detention.
Five days later, BuzzFeed's Tessa Stuart wrote a story taking issue with Moore and Burnat's version of events, »
- The Huffington Post
Similar News ItemsMichael Moore (II)
- Could the 2014 Academy Awards Ceremony Be the Most Controversial Ever? (From FilmSchoolRejects. 9 February 2014, 11:16 AM, PST)
- TV Review: ‘And the Oscar Goes to…’ (From Variety - Film News. 31 January 2014, 12:06 PM, PST)
- TV Review: ‘And the Oscar Goes to…’ (From Variety - TV News. 31 January 2014, 12:06 PM, PST)
- Fleifel to kick off Oscar bid on Aflamnah (From ScreenDaily. 11 December 2013, 7:00 PM, PST)
- John Oliver Hosts International Emmy Awards Honoring J.J. Abrams (From Variety - TV News. 25 November 2013, 5:09 PM, PST)
- 5 Best Bets on TV This Week: Keanu Reeves Talks Digital Cinema While the 'Detropia' Filmmakers Explore Sex and the Female Athlete (From Indiewire Television. 26 August 2013, 11:34 AM, PDT)
Ben Britten Smith
- Video Tracker Vobile Acquires YouTube Analytics Startup Blayze (From The Hollywood Reporter. 6 March 2014, 9:30 AM, PST)
- Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough Party After Robert Pattinson Hook Up (From HollywoodLife. 4 February 2014, 10:14 AM, PST)
- Kristen Stewart Snapped at Lax After Partying With Riley Keough and Lisa Marie Presley (From E! Online. 3 February 2014, 1:31 PM, PST)