Michelle Obama made a splash at the 85th Academy Awards when she appeared live via satellite from the White House to present the Best Picture Oscar to "Argo." But her sleeveless, scoop necked sequin gown would have apparently made too big a splash in Iran, based on the actions of an Iranian news agency.
ABC News points out the First Lady's dress is in violation of modesty codes enforced throughout Muslim countries. So Fars added some sleeves and a much higher neckline to the gown for their Oscars story.
"We've persistently seen Iranian news agencies, whether they're partially or fully state-run, use fabrication and use other means to distort images," says Patrick Ventrell, the deputy State Department spokesperson. "We've seen photos manipulated. We've seen official statements manipulated. So there would be nothing new. It wouldn't surprise me."
Iranian media has reportedly criticized the Best Picture winning film for what some »
Similar News ItemsBen Affleck
- Listen: Trent Reznor Previews ‘Gone Girl’ Soundtrack On Nine Inch Nails Website (From The Playlist. 20 September 2014, 4:50 PM, PDT)
- Trent Reznor Previews Ominous 'Gone Girl' Soundtrack (From Rolling Stone. 20 September 2014, 3:23 PM, PDT)
- 'Gone Girl': Trent Reznor Previews Eerie Soundtrack (From Access Hollywood. 20 September 2014, 2:47 PM, PDT)
ABC News [us]
- Giuliana Rancic Opens Up About Joan Rivers' Death, Uncertain Future of Fashion Police (From Us Weekly. 19 September 2014, 2:00 AM, PDT)
- Bob Palmer, Veteran Publicist for Anthony Hopkins and Dick Van Dyke, Dead at 85 (From The Wrap. 17 September 2014, 11:23 PM, PDT)
- ABC News’ David Muir Reveals Biggest Inspirations on Kimmel: Peter Jennings Was James Bond of News (Video) (From The Wrap. 17 September 2014, 7:53 AM, PDT)
- Shonda Rhimes and her stars fire back at 'New York Times' critic (From EW.com - Inside TV. 19 September 2014, 4:01 PM, PDT)
- President Obama Remembers Joan Rivers, Sends Handwritten Note to Melissa (From PEOPLE.com. 19 September 2014, 11:00 AM, PDT)
- Lupita Nyong'o stopped by Sesame Street to teach Elmo all about skin (From Hitfix. 16 September 2014, 9:27 AM, PDT)