Michelle Obama made a splash at the 85th Academy Awards when she appeared live via satellite from the White House to present the Best Picture Oscar to "Argo." But her sleeveless, scoop necked sequin gown would have apparently made too big a splash in Iran, based on the actions of an Iranian news agency.
ABC News points out the First Lady's dress is in violation of modesty codes enforced throughout Muslim countries. So Fars added some sleeves and a much higher neckline to the gown for their Oscars story.
"We've persistently seen Iranian news agencies, whether they're partially or fully state-run, use fabrication and use other means to distort images," says Patrick Ventrell, the deputy State Department spokesperson. "We've seen photos manipulated. We've seen official statements manipulated. So there would be nothing new. It wouldn't surprise me."
Iranian media has reportedly criticized the Best Picture winning film for what some »
Similar News ItemsBen Affleck
- Jason Momoa Looking To Join Batman vs. Superman (From We Got This Covered. 9 December 2013, 7:24 PM, PST)
- Blake Lively Exits CAA (Exclusive) (From The Hollywood Reporter. 9 December 2013, 6:56 PM, PST)
- 'Game of Thrones'' Jason Momoa in talks for 'Batman vs. Superman' - but for which role? (From Hitfix. 9 December 2013, 6:55 PM, PST)
ABC News [us]
- Brian to make comeback on 'Family Guy' (From RealBollywood. 9 December 2013, 3:34 AM, PST)
- Pete Alexander and Jon Karl Tag-Team Carney on Conservative Sebelius Wh Visits Report (From Mediaite - TV. 8 December 2013, 12:48 PM, PST)
- Sound of Music Live!: Von Trapp Family Wanted Anne Hathaway Over Carrie Underwood (From E! Online. 6 December 2013, 9:23 AM, PST)
- Michelle Obama Steps Out in What May Be Her Best Look of All-Time (From E! Online. 9 December 2013, 3:48 PM, PST)
- The Obamas Go Glam to Honor Art Icons (From Popsugar. 9 December 2013, 9:45 AM, PST)
- Michelle Obama Stuns at Kennedy Center Honors in Sexy, Glam Gown: Pictures (From Us Weekly. 9 December 2013, 7:11 AM, PST)