Will Gluck's upcoming "Annie" remake has found its leading lady in the form of "Beasts of the Southern Wild" star Quvenzhane Wallis. The same weekend she made her appearance as the youngest ever Best Actress Oscar nominee, she was confirmed for the starring role.
That part had originally gone to Willow Smith, but she passed on it in January. Now Wallis is confirmed for the role, Deadline reports, which will be her first starring part since "Beasts." Wallis also has a small role in Steve McQueen's "Twelve Years a Slave."
"She is an extraordinary young talent with an amazing range, not only as an actress but as a singer and dancer, and we can’t wait for audiences to further discover her," Columbia Pictures' Hannah Minghella said in a statement.
Thus far, Wallis is the only actor signed for "Annie." This take on the movie will be set in the present day, »
- Terri Schwartz
Similar News ItemsColumbia Pictures [us]
- 10 Films You Probably Hated As A Kid But Love Now (From Obsessed with Film. 8 March 2014, 8:31 AM, PST)
- The Many Stages of Springing Forward (From Popsugar. 7 March 2014, 12:00 PM, PST)
- Watch: American Hustle Deleted Scene (From Obsessed with Film. 7 March 2014, 9:54 AM, PST)
Steve McQueen (III)
- Grace of Monaco Gets A New Poster (From ShockYa. 8 March 2014, 11:18 AM, PST)
- Scott Kalvert, ‘Basketball Diaries’ Director, Dead at 49 (From The Wrap. 7 March 2014, 4:02 PM, PST)
- Production Designer Adam Stockhausen Talks 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' (Videos) (From Thompson on Hollywood. 7 March 2014, 12:53 PM, PST)
Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)
- Annie Trailer Hits And Internet Falls Over Itself Getting Out Cute Hyperbole (From AreYouScreening. 7 March 2014, 1:02 PM, PST)
- ‘Annie’, the remake of the popular musical with Quvenzhané Wallis, releases its first trailer (From SoundOnSight. 6 March 2014, 1:28 PM, PST)
- Devil’s Nests and Beer-Can Men: The Origins of 13 True Detective Set Pieces (From Vulture. 6 March 2014, 1:25 PM, PST)