Will Gluck's upcoming "Annie" remake has found its leading lady in the form of "Beasts of the Southern Wild" star Quvenzhane Wallis. The same weekend she made her appearance as the youngest ever Best Actress Oscar nominee, she was confirmed for the starring role.
That part had originally gone to Willow Smith, but she passed on it in January. Now Wallis is confirmed for the role, Deadline reports, which will be her first starring part since "Beasts." Wallis also has a small role in Steve McQueen's "Twelve Years a Slave."
"She is an extraordinary young talent with an amazing range, not only as an actress but as a singer and dancer, and we can’t wait for audiences to further discover her," Columbia Pictures' Hannah Minghella said in a statement.
Thus far, Wallis is the only actor signed for "Annie." This take on the movie will be set in the present day, »
- Terri Schwartz
Similar News ItemsColumbia Pictures [us]
- Comic-Con: 'Pixels' Electric Dreams Arcade Video (From MovieWeb. 24 July 2014, 3:55 PM, PDT)
- Way To Blue: Comic-Con talking points (From ScreenDaily. 24 July 2014, 11:08 AM, PDT)
- Film Review: ‘Hercules’ (From Variety - Film News. 23 July 2014, 6:20 PM, PDT)
Steve McQueen (III)
- Let's predict winners of Oscars now!' (From Gold Derby. 25 July 2014, 1:33 PM, PDT)
- The Good, the Bad and the Badass: Morgan Freeman (From JoBlo. 20 July 2014, 5:22 PM, PDT)
- ‘Wildfire’ #2 -The Series Has Already Started to Go Downhill (From SoundOnSight. 19 July 2014, 9:44 AM, PDT)
Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)
- Ghent’s World Soundtrack Awards to Fete French Composer Francis Lai (From Variety - Film News. 22 July 2014, 5:00 PM, PDT)
- Oscar Updates: Acting Pairs and Young Bucks (From FilmExperience. 18 July 2014, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Francis Lai to be honoured at WSAs (From ScreenDaily. 18 July 2014, 2:47 AM, PDT)