Will Gluck's upcoming "Annie" remake has found its leading lady in the form of "Beasts of the Southern Wild" star Quvenzhane Wallis. The same weekend she made her appearance as the youngest ever Best Actress Oscar nominee, she was confirmed for the starring role.
That part had originally gone to Willow Smith, but she passed on it in January. Now Wallis is confirmed for the role, Deadline reports, which will be her first starring part since "Beasts." Wallis also has a small role in Steve McQueen's "Twelve Years a Slave."
"She is an extraordinary young talent with an amazing range, not only as an actress but as a singer and dancer, and we can’t wait for audiences to further discover her," Columbia Pictures' Hannah Minghella said in a statement.
Thus far, Wallis is the only actor signed for "Annie." This take on the movie will be set in the present day, »
- Terri Schwartz
Similar News ItemsColumbia Pictures [us]
- Piss yourself with this brand new red-band trailer for The Brothers Grimsby (From JoBlo. 10 February 2016, 3:54 PM, PST)
- Second The Brothers Grimsby Red-Band Trailer Hits (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 10 February 2016, 3:07 PM, PST)
- 15 Worst Horror Villains Of All Time (From Obsessed with Film. 9 February 2016, 1:39 PM, PST)
Steve McQueen (III)
- FILM4 is the Company with 15 Academy Award Nominations Nobody is Talking About but Should Be (From Sydney's Buzz. 9 February 2016, 4:04 PM, PST)
- Lupita Nyong'o and Ava DuVernay Touted for Sci-Fi Thriller 'Intelligent Life' (From Movies.com. 9 February 2016, 1:30 PM, PST)
- U.K.’s Channel 4 Boosts Funding for Film4 by $14.5 million (From Variety - Film News. 9 February 2016, 11:15 AM, PST)
Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)
- Oscars 2016: What Is Going on With the Best Director Race? (From Moviefone. 5 February 2016, 3:15 PM, PST)
- The Youngest Oscar Winners and Nominees in Academy Awards History (From Moviefone. 5 February 2016, 9:00 AM, PST)
- Diversity Scandal Overlooks Historic Year for Women at Oscars (From Scott Feinberg. 4 February 2016, 6:00 AM, PST)