Will Gluck's upcoming "Annie" remake has found its leading lady in the form of "Beasts of the Southern Wild" star Quvenzhane Wallis. The same weekend she made her appearance as the youngest ever Best Actress Oscar nominee, she was confirmed for the starring role.
That part had originally gone to Willow Smith, but she passed on it in January. Now Wallis is confirmed for the role, Deadline reports, which will be her first starring part since "Beasts." Wallis also has a small role in Steve McQueen's "Twelve Years a Slave."
"She is an extraordinary young talent with an amazing range, not only as an actress but as a singer and dancer, and we can’t wait for audiences to further discover her," Columbia Pictures' Hannah Minghella said in a statement.
Thus far, Wallis is the only actor signed for "Annie." This take on the movie will be set in the present day, »
- Terri Schwartz
Similar News ItemsColumbia Pictures [us]
- Sony's Amy Pascal Adds Michael De Luca as Production President (From Thompson on Hollywood. 6 December 2013, 10:59 AM, PST)
- De Luca earns Columbia stripes (From ScreenDaily. 6 December 2013, 10:44 AM, PST)
- Michael De Luca Joins Sony's Columbia as President of Production (From The Hollywood Reporter. 6 December 2013, 10:21 AM, PST)
Steve McQueen (III)
- New York Film Critics Circle Award Winners (From The Hollywood News. 6 December 2013, 8:20 AM, PST)
- Why Steve McQueen is proof of video art's cultural irrelevance (From The Guardian - Film News. 6 December 2013, 3:50 AM, PST)
- Ten Best Lists: EW Names '12 Years a Slave,' 'Fruitvale Station' and 'Before Midnight' in Top 10 of 2013 Preview (From Thompson on Hollywood. 5 December 2013, 9:13 AM, PST)
Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)
- Sundance 2014: A.J. Edwards’ The Better Angels Leads Fivesome of New Frontier Offerings (From ioncinema. 5 December 2013, 3:25 PM, PST)
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Tom Hardy headline Sundance sections (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 5 December 2013, 1:00 PM, PST)
- Sundance unveils New Frontier (From ScreenDaily. 5 December 2013, 1:00 PM, PST)