Will Gluck's upcoming "Annie" remake has found its leading lady in the form of "Beasts of the Southern Wild" star Quvenzhane Wallis. The same weekend she made her appearance as the youngest ever Best Actress Oscar nominee, she was confirmed for the starring role.
That part had originally gone to Willow Smith, but she passed on it in January. Now Wallis is confirmed for the role, Deadline reports, which will be her first starring part since "Beasts." Wallis also has a small role in Steve McQueen's "Twelve Years a Slave."
"She is an extraordinary young talent with an amazing range, not only as an actress but as a singer and dancer, and we can’t wait for audiences to further discover her," Columbia Pictures' Hannah Minghella said in a statement.
Thus far, Wallis is the only actor signed for "Annie." This take on the movie will be set in the present day, »
- Terri Schwartz
Similar News ItemsColumbia Pictures [us]
- ‘Get Hard’ Outpaces Cruising ‘Furious 7′ Despite Spending Downshift (From Variety - Film News. 1 April 2015, 3:39 PM, PDT)
- Kevin James Plots TV Return With New Sony Deal (From The Hollywood Reporter. 1 April 2015, 11:45 AM, PDT)
- Kevin James Inks Film & TV Deal With Sony, Will Star In New Comedy Series (From Deadline TV. 1 April 2015, 11:16 AM, PDT)
Steve McQueen (III)
- Debbie Tucker Green to Co-Write Steve McQueen’s BBC "Epic" Miniseries About Black Britons (From Indiewire Television. 1 April 2015, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- BBC orders "epic" six-part series from 12 Years a Slave's Steve McQueen (From Digital Spy - TV news. 31 March 2015, 7:42 AM, PDT)
- BBC Orders New “Epic” Drama Series By Steve McQueen (From Film-Book. 30 March 2015, 10:21 AM, PDT)
Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)
- Tff 2015: Tribeca Film Festival Announce Tribeca Talks Series Line-Up (From The Hollywood News. 20 March 2015, 4:30 AM, PDT)
- Week in Review: Academy considering move back to 5 Best Picture nominees (From SoundOnSight. 6 March 2015, 8:54 AM, PST)
- Report: Academy Old Guard wants to go backward with just 5 Best Picture nominees (From Hitfix. 4 March 2015, 2:12 AM, PST)