Will Gluck's upcoming "Annie" remake has found its leading lady in the form of "Beasts of the Southern Wild" star Quvenzhane Wallis. The same weekend she made her appearance as the youngest ever Best Actress Oscar nominee, she was confirmed for the starring role.
That part had originally gone to Willow Smith, but she passed on it in January. Now Wallis is confirmed for the role, Deadline reports, which will be her first starring part since "Beasts." Wallis also has a small role in Steve McQueen's "Twelve Years a Slave."
"She is an extraordinary young talent with an amazing range, not only as an actress but as a singer and dancer, and we can’t wait for audiences to further discover her," Columbia Pictures' Hannah Minghella said in a statement.
Thus far, Wallis is the only actor signed for "Annie." This take on the movie will be set in the present day, »
- Terri Schwartz
Similar News ItemsColumbia Pictures [us]
- '5th Wave' Trailer: A Countdown to Humanity's Extinction (From MovieWeb. 29 January 2015, 10:35 AM, PST)
- Safehouse Signs First-Look Deal With Sony, Splits With Weed Road (From Variety - Film News. 28 January 2015, 3:00 PM, PST)
- Penelope Cruz and Diane Kruger In Final Negotiations to Star in This Man, This Woman (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 28 January 2015, 2:14 PM, PST)
Steve McQueen (III)
- Contest: Win Cinephile Book 'What I Love About Movies' Featuring Wes Anderson, Quentin Tarantino, Spike Jonze & More (From The Playlist. 28 January 2015, 12:41 PM, PST)
- What does the latest British invasion say about the state of American acting? (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 28 January 2015, 6:00 AM, PST)
- Saint Laurent leads Cesar nominees (From ScreenDaily. 28 January 2015, 3:03 AM, PST)
Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)
- Critics’ Rearview: Sundance Offers Rich Diversity in 2015 (From Variety - Film News. 30 January 2015, 10:20 AM, PST)
- Sundance Film Review: ‘Digging for Fire’ (From Variety - Film News. 27 January 2015, 10:38 AM, PST)
- Diversity at Sundance 2015 Leads Buzzy Films, Acquisitions (From The Wrap. 26 January 2015, 7:00 AM, PST)