Will Gluck's upcoming "Annie" remake has found its leading lady in the form of "Beasts of the Southern Wild" star Quvenzhane Wallis. The same weekend she made her appearance as the youngest ever Best Actress Oscar nominee, she was confirmed for the starring role.
That part had originally gone to Willow Smith, but she passed on it in January. Now Wallis is confirmed for the role, Deadline reports, which will be her first starring part since "Beasts." Wallis also has a small role in Steve McQueen's "Twelve Years a Slave."
"She is an extraordinary young talent with an amazing range, not only as an actress but as a singer and dancer, and we can’t wait for audiences to further discover her," Columbia Pictures' Hannah Minghella said in a statement.
Thus far, Wallis is the only actor signed for "Annie." This take on the movie will be set in the present day, »
- Terri Schwartz
Similar News ItemsColumbia Pictures [us]
- ‘Amazing Spider-Man 2’ Stuntman Slaps Age-Discrimination Suit On Sony, Marvel & Others (From Deadline. 8 October 2015, 7:09 PM, PDT)
- 10 Hilarious Lies All Girls Tell About Sex (From Obsessed with Film. 6 October 2015, 5:02 AM, PDT)
- R.L. Stine Tells Us What He's Most Afraid Of (From BuzzSugar. 5 October 2015, 5:48 PM, PDT)
Steve McQueen (III)
- ‘Suffragette’ Writer Didn’t Set Out to Make a Feminist Film (From Variety - Film News. 6 October 2015, 6:42 PM, PDT)
- Vivendi Acquires 30% of France’s Mars Films as Studiocanal’s President Exits (From Variety - Film News. 29 September 2015, 7:36 AM, PDT)
- The Academy’s Fall Lineup Includes Guillermo del Toro And Jay and Mark Duplass (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 24 September 2015, 3:57 PM, PDT)
Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)
- Eden Road Pictures Launches With Barkhad Abdi Project (From Variety - Film News. 1 October 2015, 6:09 PM, PDT)
- Toronto: Filmax Closes France, Italy on ‘Truman’ (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 14 September 2015, 9:57 AM, PDT)
- '99 Homes' Wins the Deauville American Film Festival Grand Prize (From Indiewire. 14 September 2015, 8:53 AM, PDT)