Will Gluck's upcoming "Annie" remake has found its leading lady in the form of "Beasts of the Southern Wild" star Quvenzhane Wallis. The same weekend she made her appearance as the youngest ever Best Actress Oscar nominee, she was confirmed for the starring role.
That part had originally gone to Willow Smith, but she passed on it in January. Now Wallis is confirmed for the role, Deadline reports, which will be her first starring part since "Beasts." Wallis also has a small role in Steve McQueen's "Twelve Years a Slave."
"She is an extraordinary young talent with an amazing range, not only as an actress but as a singer and dancer, and we can’t wait for audiences to further discover her," Columbia Pictures' Hannah Minghella said in a statement.
Thus far, Wallis is the only actor signed for "Annie." This take on the movie will be set in the present day, »
- Terri Schwartz
Similar News ItemsColumbia Pictures [us]
- Martin Scorsese criticises watching films at home, despite reported Netflix deal for 'The Irishman' (From ScreenDaily. 23 February 2017, 5:14 AM, PST)
- Martin Scorsese criticises watching films at home, despite Netflix deal for 'The Irishman' (From ScreenDaily. 23 February 2017, 5:14 AM, PST)
- Life to Make World Premiere as Closing Night Film at SXSW 2017 (From DailyDead. 22 February 2017, 12:35 PM, PST)
Steve McQueen (III)
- Oscar Nominated Actresses Make Bold and Varied Fashion Choices (From Variety - Film News. 23 February 2017, 10:00 AM, PST)
- Steve McQueen’s Scrapped HBO Series ‘Codes of Conduct’ Still Alive, Seeking New Home (From The Playlist. 23 February 2017, 7:39 AM, PST)
- Oliver Stone and the Cast of ‘Snowden’ Discuss the Challenges of Tackling a Historic Decade (From Indiewire. 22 February 2017, 12:19 PM, PST)
Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)
- Matt Damon vs. Ben Affleck: Film Critics Are Forced to Pick a Favorite — IndieWire Critics Survey (From Indiewire. 21 February 2017, 10:15 AM, PST)
- ‘Dark Night’ Director Tim Sutton on Violence in America and the State of Indie Film (From The Film Stage. 6 February 2017, 9:49 AM, PST)
- How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love Sundance Hype (From Indiewire. 31 January 2017, 9:39 AM, PST)