Seth MacFarlane sang about losers – a fitting end to a clumsy and mean-spirited performance. For more, check out our live blog
When The Onion tweeted inadvisedly about Quvenzhané Wallis shortly after the Oscars ended last night, Twitter exploded in outrage. An hour later and the tweet was removed. But the tweet about the nine-year-old nominee seemed to fit right in to an evening that had been both vicious and sexist in its attempts at humor.
Host Seth Macfarlane began the unfunny references to Wallis as he introduced her to the audience in the early part of the show. "It'll be 16 years before she's too old for Clooney," he said. Did anyone laugh?
There was a mean-spirited quality to Macfarlane's Oscars that went beyond the usual awkward imbalance of celebrating and embarrassing a self-indulgent industry in the same show. When did awards shows become such clumsy roasts? And could someone funny Please start writing the jokes? »
- Emma G Keller
Similar News ItemsRobert Downey Jr.
- Marvel's 'Spider-Man' Villains, Characters and Cast Revealed? (From MovieWeb. 29 July 2015, 7:02 PM, PDT)
- Cara Delevingne should be cut some slack – TV interviews are seldom fun (From The Guardian - TV News. 29 July 2015, 9:19 AM, PDT)
- Who Does Hawkeye Side with in 'Captain America: Civil War'? (From MovieWeb. 28 July 2015, 6:52 PM, PDT)
- Sean Malone, ‘The Fighter’ Actor, Dies at 54 in Drowning Accident (From Variety - Film News. 30 July 2015, 9:22 AM, PDT)
- Ben Affleck, Jennifer Garner's Ex-Nanny Christine Ouzounian Steps Out Smiling After Romance Reveal: Picture (From Us Weekly. 30 July 2015, 5:35 AM, PDT)
- Ben Affleck's Batman: "we are playing him 45 or 46" (From Den of Geek. 29 July 2015, 10:45 PM, PDT)
Django Unchained (2012)
- Weinstein Company COO David Glasser Exiting (From Variety - Film News. 30 July 2015, 10:55 AM, PDT)
- WWE Owner Vince McMahon's a Raging Hypocrite … He Hurled the N-Word, Too (From TMZ. 25 July 2015, 1:00 AM, PDT)
- New trailer, images and updated synopsis for Spectre (From Flickeringmyth. 22 July 2015, 12:44 AM, PDT)