Seth MacFarlane sang about losers – a fitting end to a clumsy and mean-spirited performance. For more, check out our live blog
When The Onion tweeted inadvisedly about Quvenzhané Wallis shortly after the Oscars ended last night, Twitter exploded in outrage. An hour later and the tweet was removed. But the tweet about the nine-year-old nominee seemed to fit right in to an evening that had been both vicious and sexist in its attempts at humor.
Host Seth Macfarlane began the unfunny references to Wallis as he introduced her to the audience in the early part of the show. "It'll be 16 years before she's too old for Clooney," he said. Did anyone laugh?
There was a mean-spirited quality to Macfarlane's Oscars that went beyond the usual awkward imbalance of celebrating and embarrassing a self-indulgent industry in the same show. When did awards shows become such clumsy roasts? And could someone funny Please start writing the jokes? »
- Emma G Keller
Similar News ItemsRobert Downey Jr.
- This Week in Blu-ray: UK Edition – Nightcrawler, Pride, Mr. Turner, The Sound of Music, The Judge (From Flickeringmyth. 1 March 2015, 11:47 AM, PST)
- Iron Man and Hulk Avengers: Age of Ultron Posters Joined by Nick Fury, Black Widow and Thor (From TheHDRoom. 1 March 2015, 7:41 AM, PST)
- The Week in Spandex – Avengers: Age of Ultron, Spider-Man, Daredevil, The Fantastic Four, X-Men, Batman v Superman, Aquaman, Suicide Squad, Supergirl and more (From Flickeringmyth. 28 February 2015, 5:14 AM, PST)
- "Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice" - Close On The 'Bat-Suit' (From SneakPeek. 1 March 2015, 9:51 AM, PST)
- 'Gone Girl' Symmetry or Lack Thereof in Locations and Events (From Rope Of Silicon. 1 March 2015, 8:16 AM, PST)
- Smith to Have One of His Worst Domestic Openings Ever: 'Focus' (From Alt Film Guide. 1 March 2015, 1:58 AM, PST)
Django Unchained (2012)
- Leonardo DiCaprio developing Robin Hood: Origins (From Den of Geek. 26 February 2015, 11:13 PM, PST)
- First look at Dave Bautista and Lea Seydoux in Spectre, plus new behind-the-scenes featurette (From Flickeringmyth. 26 February 2015, 11:37 AM, PST)
- Louisiana Tax Incentives at Risk? (From Backstage. 25 February 2015, 8:02 AM, PST)