Seth MacFarlane sang about losers – a fitting end to a clumsy and mean-spirited performance. For more, check out our live blog
When The Onion tweeted inadvisedly about Quvenzhané Wallis shortly after the Oscars ended last night, Twitter exploded in outrage. An hour later and the tweet was removed. But the tweet about the nine-year-old nominee seemed to fit right in to an evening that had been both vicious and sexist in its attempts at humor.
Host Seth Macfarlane began the unfunny references to Wallis as he introduced her to the audience in the early part of the show. "It'll be 16 years before she's too old for Clooney," he said. Did anyone laugh?
There was a mean-spirited quality to Macfarlane's Oscars that went beyond the usual awkward imbalance of celebrating and embarrassing a self-indulgent industry in the same show. When did awards shows become such clumsy roasts? And could someone funny Please start writing the jokes? »
- Emma G Keller
Similar News ItemsRobert Downey Jr.
- Unused Iron Man 3 poster designs (From Flickeringmyth. 22 May 2013, 4:03 PM, PDT)
- 'The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2' dominates Teen Choice Award noms (From Twilight Examiner. 22 May 2013, 1:40 PM, PDT)
- Did You Spot The Fake Robert Downey Jr. In Iron Man 3? (From ComicBookMovie. 22 May 2013, 1:24 PM, PDT)
- Teen Choice Awards Nominees Announced! (From Huffington Post. 22 May 2013, 11:38 AM, PDT)
- Teen Choice Awards 2013 nominees: 'Breaking Dawn - Part 2' and 'The Vampire Diaries' score (From Pop2it. 22 May 2013, 11:08 AM, PDT)
- FX’s ‘The Strain’ Adds More Cast Members (From Screen Rant. 22 May 2013, 10:24 AM, PDT)
Django Unchained (2012)
- Global Village: Spaniards Salivate Over Food Shows; France Debates Mobile Tax, More (From Variety - Film News. 22 May 2013, 3:00 PM, PDT)
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt only cares about his body, pad, ride, family, church, boys, girls, and porn in the trailer for Don Jon (From JoBlo. 22 May 2013, 8:59 AM, PDT)
- Competition: Win 'Django Unchained' (From CineVue. 22 May 2013, 1:01 AM, PDT)