"Argo" has achieved a rare -- if dubious -- distinction. This Best Picture at the 85th Academy Awards is only the fourth film in Oscar history to win without its director even getting a nomination.
When Ben Affleck, the director and star of "Argo," failed to get a Best Director nomination, many were shocked. He was widely believed to be a favorite to win, and subsequent victories at the Golden Globes and Directors Guild Awards proved that others regarded his work with great esteem. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, however, paid no attention.
This snub makes it all the more unusual that "Argo" won the Best Picture Award. How unusual? Well, since the Oscars were first awarded in 1928, only three other films -- "Wings" (1928), "Grand Hotel" (1931) and "Driving Miss Daisy" (1989) -- have won Best Picture without a Best Director nomination. Now, Ben Affleck joins directors William A. Wellman, »
Similar News ItemsSteven Spielberg
- Have Jurassic Dinosaurs Truly Kicked Marvel Superheroes Butt at Worldwide Box Office? (From Alt Film Guide. 25 July 2015, 9:48 PM, PDT)
- Drive-In Dust Offs: The Car (From DailyDead. 25 July 2015, 8:52 AM, PDT)
- Television that Home Video Forgot: Crossballs: The Debate Show (2004) (From SoundOnSight. 25 July 2015, 6:00 AM, PDT)
- The Wolverine Star Tao Okamoto's Role In Batman v Superman Officially Revealed (From ComicBookMovie. 27 July 2015, 4:46 PM, PDT)
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner Reunite Amid Divorce for a Family Day in Atlanta (From E! Online. 27 July 2015, 4:38 PM, PDT)
- ‘Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice’ Stars Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill Cover New Empire Magazine (Photo) (From The Wrap. 27 July 2015, 4:29 PM, PDT)
Zero Dark Thirty (2012)
- ‘The Gift’ Review: Jason Bateman and Rebecca Hall Make a New Enemy in Chilling Thriller (From The Wrap. 22 July 2015, 2:00 PM, PDT)
- The Sins Of The Past Always Come Back In New Trailer For The Gift (From We Got This Covered. 19 July 2015, 7:01 AM, PDT)
- Check Out The New Trailer For Joel Edgerton’s The Gift (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 17 July 2015, 12:56 PM, PDT)