"Argo" has achieved a rare -- if dubious -- distinction. This Best Picture at the 85th Academy Awards is only the fourth film in Oscar history to win without its director even getting a nomination.
When Ben Affleck, the director and star of "Argo," failed to get a Best Director nomination, many were shocked. He was widely believed to be a favorite to win, and subsequent victories at the Golden Globes and Directors Guild Awards proved that others regarded his work with great esteem. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, however, paid no attention.
This snub makes it all the more unusual that "Argo" won the Best Picture Award. How unusual? Well, since the Oscars were first awarded in 1928, only three other films -- "Wings" (1928), "Grand Hotel" (1931) and "Driving Miss Daisy" (1989) -- have won Best Picture without a Best Director nomination. Now, Ben Affleck joins directors William A. Wellman, »
Similar News ItemsSteven Spielberg
- The Flickering Myth Review Podcast Episode 182 – Star Trek Beyond and The Bfg Reviewed (From Flickeringmyth. 24 July 2016, 10:50 PM, PDT)
- The Goonies Never Say Die This Weekend Midnights at The Tivoli! (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 24 July 2016, 5:35 PM, PDT)
- Bo Report: Star Trek Beyond flies clear of Ghostbusters, The Legend of Tarzan (From IF.com.au. 24 July 2016, 4:39 PM, PDT)
- Reviewing the Seven Biggest Comic-Con Trailers (From Cinelinx. 24 July 2016, 4:18 PM, PDT)
- Sdcc: Grant Gustin shares his thoughts on Ezra Miller’s Flash costume for Justice League (From Flickeringmyth. 24 July 2016, 1:28 PM, PDT)
- Sdcc: Updated logos for the Justice League (From Flickeringmyth. 24 July 2016, 12:06 PM, PDT)
Zero Dark Thirty (2012)
- 14 Sexy Photos of Mike Colter to Kick-Start Your New Superhero Crush (From Popsugar. 22 July 2016, 11:25 AM, PDT)
- Mark Boal sues Us government over Bowe Bergdahl tapes (From ScreenDaily. 22 July 2016, 11:07 AM, PDT)
- ‘Hurt Locker’ Writer Mark Boal Sues to Stop Subpoena of Bowe Bergdahl ‘Serial’ Tapes (From The Wrap. 21 July 2016, 1:38 PM, PDT)