Why do we demonise women for putting their career before having a family?
I've been amusing myself thinking up a blurb for a Chinese dating site.
"Are you a 'leftover' woman? Old! Rotting! Disgusting! Left on the side of the plate of romance. Your destiny, like all other leftovers, to be scraped straight into the bin of life or fed to the pigs… We have the man for you!"
As employed by the All-China Women's Federation website, "leftover women" (sheng nu) is a term for educated, moneyed, professional females still single at 27. Sometimes, these hideous hags are given until 30, but that's deemed to be pushing it.
"Leftovers" shame their families and horrify the Chinese government, which needs them married, so that single men won't cause "social havoc" and to mop up the surplus of males (20 million more) born after 1979's one-child rule, when selective abortions were endemic.
After many complaints, »
- Barbara Ellen
Similar News ItemsStar Wars (1977)
- ‘Magic Mike Xxl’ Star Joe Manganiello to Moderate ‘Jake the Snake’ Doc Q&A for Slamdance Cinema Club (Exclusive) (From The Wrap. 2 March 2015, 4:51 PM, PST)
- Sideshow’S “Queen Of The Dead” Is Here! (From Famous Monsters of Filmland. 2 March 2015, 4:28 PM, PST)
- Star Wars Bits: Do Kanan and Ezra Have to Die? Plus Iko Uwais, Lando and Force Awakens Books (From Slash Film. 2 March 2015, 3:30 PM, PST)
Harrison Ford (I)
- New rumours of Luke Skywalker’s role in Star Wars: The Force Awakens and flashback sequences (From Flickeringmyth. 2 March 2015, 5:36 AM, PST)
- 'Star Wars 7' Flashback and Luke's Role Revealed? (From MovieWeb. 28 February 2015, 11:10 AM, PST)
- Blade Runner 2: 10 Questions That Need Answering (From Obsessed with Film. 28 February 2015, 3:45 AM, PST)
George Lucas (I)
- Lego Star Wars: Droid Tales is coming to Disney Xd (From Den of Geek. 2 March 2015, 1:04 AM, PST)
- Complete Angel reviews: Hero (From Shadowlocked. 1 March 2015, 8:37 AM, PST)
- Obsessed with TV and Film: Best of the Week (From SoundOnSight. 28 February 2015, 9:22 AM, PST)