Why do we demonise women for putting their career before having a family?
I've been amusing myself thinking up a blurb for a Chinese dating site.
"Are you a 'leftover' woman? Old! Rotting! Disgusting! Left on the side of the plate of romance. Your destiny, like all other leftovers, to be scraped straight into the bin of life or fed to the pigs… We have the man for you!"
As employed by the All-China Women's Federation website, "leftover women" (sheng nu) is a term for educated, moneyed, professional females still single at 27. Sometimes, these hideous hags are given until 30, but that's deemed to be pushing it.
"Leftovers" shame their families and horrify the Chinese government, which needs them married, so that single men won't cause "social havoc" and to mop up the surplus of males (20 million more) born after 1979's one-child rule, when selective abortions were endemic.
After many complaints, »
- Barbara Ellen
Similar News ItemsStar Wars (1977)
- The Impact of Star Wars (From Pure Movies. 16 March 2014, 9:30 AM, PDT)
- Doctor Who: 15 Most Disastrous Stories Of All-Time (From Obsessed with Film. 16 March 2014, 3:25 AM, PDT)
- Lupita Nyong’o Approached by J.J. Abrams for Star Wars (From ShockYa. 15 March 2014, 10:28 AM, PDT)
Harrison Ford (I)
- Is this the logo for Star Wars: Episode VII? (From Flickeringmyth. 16 March 2014, 2:10 AM, PDT)
- 10 Actors Who Turned Down Roles In Star Wars (From Obsessed with Film. 15 March 2014, 10:02 AM, PDT)
- Asa Butterfield's favourite TV (From The Guardian - TV News. 14 March 2014, 11:50 PM, PDT)
George Lucas (I)
- How to fix Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (From SoundOnSight. 16 March 2014, 7:38 AM, PDT)
- SXSW 2014 Review: Doc Of The Dead Is A Worthwhile History Of The Zombie (From Twitch. 15 March 2014, 1:00 PM, PDT)
- Star Wars Cosplay: Heather1337 & Jessica Jane As Ewoks (From ComicBookMovie. 15 March 2014, 10:52 AM, PDT)