Over a decade ago, Staceyann Chin burst onto the scene with Russell Simmons’ “Def Poetry Jam” on Broadway. Sharing the stage with other prominent poets and hip-hop artists, she garnered a Tony Award for her performance.
Chin, known for candidly revealing her frustrating childhood in Jamaica -- a country known for homophobia -- said she became aware of a growing interest in her experience as a Jamaican lesbian immigrant. In 2010, she released her critically acclaimed memoir, The Other Side Of Paradise.
Chin, 40, a lover of “a good story,” is now working on a new book about motherhood and parenting. When she’s not writing, on stage or traveling the world, she's hosting comrades for tea, wine, “crap TV,” or political talk. In the living room of her Brooklyn apartment, her daughter by her side, Chin chatted with HuffPost about homophobia, Jamaica, motherhood, and more.
What urged you to write your memoir, »
- The Huffington Post
Similar News ItemsRussell Simmons
- HBO Orders Drama Pilot From Steve McQueen with Newcomer to Star (From Variety - TV News. 14 October 2014, 2:37 PM, PDT)
- Kimora Lee Simmons Pregnant With Fourth Child, First With Husband Tim Leissner (From Uinterview. 9 October 2014, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- Kimora Lee Simmons Pregnant With Fourth Child (From E! Online. 9 October 2014, 6:00 AM, PDT)
- Madeleine Albright Burns Conan O'Brien on Twitter - 11 Reactions He Might Have Had To Her Comebacks (From Entertainment Tonight. 24 October 2014, 1:41 PM, PDT)
- The Snap: The Real Reasons Horror Classics are Still Scary (From Hitfix. 22 October 2014, 12:30 PM, PDT)
- Donald Trump Flunked in $40 Million ‘Trump University Scam’ Lawsuit (From TheImproper.com. 22 October 2014, 7:53 AM, PDT)
- 8 Couples Who Renewed Their Vows and Still Split (From Entertainment Tonight. 23 October 2014, 3:28 PM, PDT)
- Is Kylie Jenner Really Dating Tyga? (From Popsugar. 23 October 2014, 8:15 AM, PDT)
- Beyonce and Jay Z Reportedly Renew Their Marriage Vows (From Entertainment Tonight. 23 October 2014, 1:53 AM, PDT)