"Little did I realise that what began in the alleys and back ways
of this quiet town would end in the Badlands of Montana."
Terrence Malick dabbled in philosophy lecturing, journalism and Hollywood script doctoring before deciding to leap behind the camera in the early '70s with a crime drama ripped straight from the headlines. In 1958 Charles Starkweather tore across the heartlands of America, 14-year-old girlfriend Caril Ann Fugate in tow, on a killing spree that took 11 lives. The murders came to an end in Douglas, Wyoming, and Starkweather was eventually executed by electric chair with Fugate serving 17 years in prison.
Malick's lovers-on-the-lam film Badlands shared more than a passing resemblance with the Starkweather story, along with Arthur Penn's Bonnie and Clyde, a violent, stylish film that arrived like a thunderbolt in 1967 to shake up American cinema. Yet through Malick's eyes this was a more lyrical, quietly disturbing »
Similar News ItemsMartin Scorsese (I)
- John Heard, 'Home Alone' Actor, Dead at 72 (From Rolling Stone. 22 July 2017, 7:31 AM, PDT)
- John Heard, ‘Home Alone’ Dad, Dies at 71 (From Variety - TV News. 22 July 2017, 7:12 AM, PDT)
- John Heard, ‘Home Alone’ Dad, Dies at 71 (From Variety - Film News. 22 July 2017, 7:12 AM, PDT)
- Christopher Nolan: from superheroes to Dunkirk’s small tales of heroism | the Observer profile (From The Guardian - Film News. 22 July 2017, 4:02 PM, PDT)
- Christopher Nolan Explains Why He Doesn’t Allow Phones On Set (From The Playlist. 22 July 2017, 7:29 AM, PDT)
- The Raid, Filmmaker John Carpenter, Last Jedi Bts, And More -- The Lrm Weekend (From LRM Online. 21 July 2017, 2:00 PM, PDT)
- ‘Dunkirk’ Review (From Blogomatic3000. 22 July 2017, 1:12 PM, PDT)
- Alfonso Cuarón Is the Best Director of the 21st Century, According to Metacritic — See the Top 25 (From Indiewire. 22 July 2017, 10:14 AM, PDT)
- The 25 Best Documentaries of the 21st Century, from ‘Amy’ to ‘The Act of Killing’ (From Indiewire. 21 July 2017, 7:15 AM, PDT)