Above: 20,000 Years in Sing Sing (Michael Curtiz, USA, 1932).
When I wrote about the posters of 1933 last week this was one poster I deliberately held back (though 20,000 Years in Sing Sing was released on Christmas Eve 1932, it is included in Film Forum’s retrospective). The early 1930s, no less than today—though the execution was a lot more interesting— was an era of big floating heads in movie posters. While 1920s movies had the occasional floating head poster for their biggest stars, artists and studios still favored the look of early silent posters with their head-to-toe portraits and snippets of narrative. Though Norma Desmond said famously of the silent era “We didn’t need dialogue...we had faces!” it was ironically with the coming of sound that faces started to dominate movie posters and, until Saul Bass, minimalism in American movie posters was almost non-existent.
All that makes the 20,000 Years poster, »
- Adrian Curry
Similar News ItemsZero Dark Thirty (2012)
- Joe Carnahan to Write & Direct The Raid Reimagining Starring Frank Grillo (From DailyDead. 16 February 2017, 8:05 AM, PST)
- Donald Trump/ Hillary Clinton: The TV Series on the way (From The Hollywood News. 15 February 2017, 10:30 PM, PST)
- Moonlight’s Mahershala Ali joins Tom Hardy and Channing Tatum in Triple Frontier (From Flickeringmyth. 15 February 2017, 5:40 PM, PST)
Kathryn Bigelow (I)
- Wonder Woman: What We Know (From MovieWeb. 18 February 2017, 9:58 AM, PST)
- Deadly Dialogue: Women in Horror Month Edition Featuring Jovanka Vuckovic, Karyn Kusama, Roxanne Benjamin & Annie Clark (From DailyDead. 16 February 2017, 12:32 PM, PST)
- ‘How to Get Away With Murder’ Actress Karla Souza on Success in Mexico, Character’s Changes (From Variety - TV News. 16 February 2017, 10:00 AM, PST)
Lars von Trier
- Glasgow Frightfest 2017: Chris Smith Interview (From Blogomatic3000. 20 February 2017, 8:01 AM, PST)
- It’s Official: Trump Wants to Kill PBS and the National Endowment for the Arts (From Indiewire Television. 19 February 2017, 1:44 PM, PST)
- It’s Official: Trump Wants to Kill PBS and the National Endowment for the Arts (From Indiewire. 19 February 2017, 1:44 PM, PST)