Above: 20,000 Years in Sing Sing (Michael Curtiz, USA, 1932).
When I wrote about the posters of 1933 last week this was one poster I deliberately held back (though 20,000 Years in Sing Sing was released on Christmas Eve 1932, it is included in Film Forum’s retrospective). The early 1930s, no less than today—though the execution was a lot more interesting— was an era of big floating heads in movie posters. While 1920s movies had the occasional floating head poster for their biggest stars, artists and studios still favored the look of early silent posters with their head-to-toe portraits and snippets of narrative. Though Norma Desmond said famously of the silent era “We didn’t need dialogue...we had faces!” it was ironically with the coming of sound that faces started to dominate movie posters and, until Saul Bass, minimalism in American movie posters was almost non-existent.
All that makes the 20,000 Years poster, »
- Adrian Curry
Similar News ItemsZero Dark Thirty (2012)
- 14 Sexy Photos of Mike Colter to Kick-Start Your New Superhero Crush (From Popsugar. 22 July 2016, 11:25 AM, PDT)
- Mark Boal sues Us government over Bowe Bergdahl tapes (From ScreenDaily. 22 July 2016, 11:07 AM, PDT)
- ‘Hurt Locker’ Writer Mark Boal Sues to Stop Subpoena of Bowe Bergdahl ‘Serial’ Tapes (From The Wrap. 21 July 2016, 1:38 PM, PDT)
- ’Zero Dark Thirty’ Screenwriter Mark Boal Sues U.S. Government Over Bowe Bergdahl ‘Serial’ Interviews (From Indiewire. 22 July 2016, 8:55 AM, PDT)
- Oscar-Winning Screenwriter Mark Boal Sues U.S. Government Over Bowe Bergdahl Interview Tapes (From Variety - Film News. 21 July 2016, 12:06 PM, PDT)
- Female Soldiers on the Battlefields of Wars and Words in ‘Flow’ (From Indiewire. 20 July 2016, 10:36 AM, PDT)
Lars von Trier
- We Are The Flesh Review [Fantasia 2016] (From We Got This Covered. 23 July 2016, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- The Link Jar (From FilmExperience. 22 July 2016, 2:00 PM, PDT)
- Kirsten Dunst Sets Directorial Debut With ‘The Bell Jar’ Starring Dakota Fanning (From The Film Stage. 22 July 2016, 7:09 AM, PDT)