Producers hope Family Guy creator will attract back teens and sate traditionalists
Those trying to predict the post-Oscars chatter on Monday morning have a single certainty to clutch to. Whether the gongs go to Argo or Lincoln, Les Mis or Silver Linings, one name will be on everyone's lips: Seth MacFarlane.
The first indications that this year's host might make for a genuinely compelling ceremony came during the nominations announcement at the end of January. Traditionally a laughless procedural, this year's event was notable for bonafide gags and genuine gasps, as MacFarlane – at 5am Los Angeles time – claimed to be drunk, referenced Hitler, and even insulted Hollywood's presiding deity. "Congratulations," he said after revealing the supporting actress nominees, "you five ladies no longer have to pretend to be attracted to Harvey Weinstein."
And the potential for a telecast to remember rose tenfold following MacFarlane's announcement on Thursday that this would be a one-off stint. »
- Catherine Shoard
Similar News ItemsJames Franco
- The Interview Was a Horrible Experience Says Seth Rogen (From MovieWeb. 30 April 2016, 3:33 PM, PDT)
- 11.22.63 Time Travels to August 9 Home Video Release (From Comicmix. 30 April 2016, 2:00 PM, PDT)
- Whitney Houston Estate Signs Off on New Documentary (From Rolling Stone. 28 April 2016, 11:00 AM, PDT)
- Weekend Box Office: The Jungle Book Three-peats, Mother's Day Gets Forgotten (From Cinema Blend. 1 May 2016, 3:38 PM, PDT)
- Behind-the-scenes featurette for Alice Through the Looking Glass (From Flickeringmyth. 30 April 2016, 3:10 AM, PDT)
- Kate Hudson and Goldie Hawn Are 'Pretty Much the Same' Person, Says Longtime Friend Garry Marshall (From PEOPLE.com. 29 April 2016, 4:35 PM, PDT)
Mark Wahlberg (I)
- 13 Superhero Movies Perfect for Justin Bieber (From MovieWeb. 30 April 2016, 8:25 AM, PDT)
- Will Ferrell to Play Ronald Reagan in New Comedy (From MovieWeb. 27 April 2016, 8:44 PM, PDT)
- Will Ferrell To Play Ronald 'Reagan' (From The Playlist. 27 April 2016, 2:00 PM, PDT)