I’ve spent this column space looking at the Oscar race and trying not to offer any of my opinions about how the whole thing was shaping up.
But now the Oscar race is almost over, the voting deadline has passed, and there’s little else to do but judge the outfits, open the envelopes and listen to the speeches. So, I think it’s time I stated my opinion about the film that now seems poised to win Best Picture.
After important wins from all of the industry guilds, including Producers, Directors and, most perplexing, Writers, Argo seems to be the obvious frontfunner for Sunday night's biggest prize. Considering the strength, depth and individualistic voice of most of the other nominees, this, in my humble opinion, is a depressingly mediocre choice.
Neither the most intelligent nor the most audacious film in the running by a country mile, the only »
Similar News ItemsSteven Spielberg
- Best Supporting Actress - Chart Updates (From FilmExperience. 21 September 2017, 10:54 AM, PDT)
- Tom Hanks to Star in Remake of Swedish Hit Comedy ‘A Man Called Ove’ (From Variety - Film News. 21 September 2017, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Visualising Voyeur by Anne-Katrin Titze (From eyeforfilm.co.uk. 21 September 2017, 5:24 AM, PDT)
- The Man Of Steel Joins The Party On All-New Justice League Banner (From We Got This Covered. 21 September 2017, 2:24 PM, PDT)
- Jesse Eisenberg’s Lex Luthor reportedly absent from Justice League test screening (From Flickeringmyth. 21 September 2017, 6:41 AM, PDT)
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner Reunite After His Emmys Date with Lindsay Shookus (From PEOPLE.com. 20 September 2017, 5:21 PM, PDT)
Michael Bay (I)
- Purge 4 Locks in Its First Two Leads (From MovieWeb. 20 September 2017, 10:49 AM, PDT)
- Universal Sending Two to ‘Purge’ On ‘The Island’ (From Bloody-Disgusting.com. 19 September 2017, 2:52 PM, PDT)
- Paramount issues statement defending mother! (From Den of Geek. 18 September 2017, 9:50 PM, PDT)