Universal Pictures is eyeing Mama as a potential franchise, with early discussions under way about making a sequel to director Andres Muschietti's horror-thriller.
Here's what Universal Studios International president David Kosse had to say about a potential follow-up.
"We think there's potential for a Mama franchise. We'd like to do another one. But those conversations are in the early stages. Mama is the first of this type of model that we've had enormous success with so there are more opportunities for this kind of film."
The model he is speaking of is the Universal Studios International co-production with Barbara Muschietti's company Toma 78, where the project was reconceived as an English-language Canadian-Spanish co-production. Universal had initially planned on making the film a Spanish-language production.
Mama has earned an impressive $89.2 million worldwide, with $68.2 coming from the U.S. The movie has yet to open in 43 key territories, such as UK, »
Similar News ItemsUniversal Pictures [us]
- Indominus Rex Looks Menacing in New Jurassic World Poster (From Cinelinx. 17 April 2015, 9:41 PM, PDT)
- 'Furious 7' Crosses $1 Billion at Worldwide Box Office (From MovieWeb. 17 April 2015, 5:46 PM, PDT)
- Fast & Furious 7 becomes fastest movie to hit $1 billion at the global box office (From Flickeringmyth. 17 April 2015, 2:49 PM, PDT)
Guillermo del Toro
- The Last Horror Blog: Why 'Martyrs' Is The Best Horror Film of the Century (From Movies.com. 17 April 2015, 6:15 PM, PDT)
- Marvel and ABC developing new superhero TV series with Oscar-winning producer John Ridley (From Flickeringmyth. 17 April 2015, 1:33 PM, PDT)
- Would Ryan Gosling's 'Lost River' be Praised had It been Made By a Different Filmmakerc (From Rope Of Silicon. 16 April 2015, 2:46 PM, PDT)
- A Most Violent Year Blu-ray Review (From Monsters and Critics. 16 April 2015, 1:53 PM, PDT)
- ‘Interstellar’ DVD Review: More Weird Than Stellar (From Uinterview. 16 April 2015, 12:21 PM, PDT)
- Scarlett Johansson Offers Update On Black Widow Spinoff Movie (From We Got This Covered. 15 April 2015, 2:13 PM, PDT)