Universal Pictures is eyeing Mama as a potential franchise, with early discussions under way about making a sequel to director Andres Muschietti's horror-thriller.
Here's what Universal Studios International president David Kosse had to say about a potential follow-up.
"We think there's potential for a Mama franchise. We'd like to do another one. But those conversations are in the early stages. Mama is the first of this type of model that we've had enormous success with so there are more opportunities for this kind of film."
The model he is speaking of is the Universal Studios International co-production with Barbara Muschietti's company Toma 78, where the project was reconceived as an English-language Canadian-Spanish co-production. Universal had initially planned on making the film a Spanish-language production.
Mama has earned an impressive $89.2 million worldwide, with $68.2 coming from the U.S. The movie has yet to open in 43 key territories, such as UK, »
Similar News ItemsUniversal Pictures [us]
- Comics on Film: Why Isn't the Hulk More Important to the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (From Movies.com. 21 October 2016, 3:00 PM, PDT)
- ‘Scott Pilgrim vs the World’ Transitions Prove Edgar Wright Is A Master Filmmaker [Video Essay] (From Slash Film. 21 October 2016, 5:30 AM, PDT)
- ‘This Is Loving’ featurette for Jeff Nichols’ Loving (From Flickeringmyth. 20 October 2016, 10:00 PM, PDT)
Guillermo del Toro
- Gael García Bernal on ‘Neruda,’ Mexico’s ‘Tres Amigos’ Tradition, Filmmaking’s Rewards (From Variety - Film News. 22 October 2016, 6:10 AM, PDT)
- Joss Whedon Plots WWII Horror Movie: “It’s As Dark As Anything I’ve Ever Written” (From We Got This Covered. 21 October 2016, 1:37 PM, PDT)
- MondoCon 2016: “Meet the Artist” Q&A with Arik Roper (From DailyDead. 21 October 2016, 12:46 PM, PDT)
- ‘Molly’s Game’ Adds Brian d’Arcy James; Andrew J. West Cast In ‘Antiquities’ (From Deadline. 21 October 2016, 12:15 PM, PDT)
- Madonna: Rebel Heart Tour Special Coming to Showtime — Watch Teaser (From TVLine.com. 21 October 2016, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- ‘Jack Reacher: Never Go Back’ Director Talks Importance of Strong Female Characters in Blockbusters (From Indiewire. 21 October 2016, 8:30 AM, PDT)