Universal Pictures is eyeing Mama as a potential franchise, with early discussions under way about making a sequel to director Andres Muschietti's horror-thriller.
Here's what Universal Studios International president David Kosse had to say about a potential follow-up.
"We think there's potential for a Mama franchise. We'd like to do another one. But those conversations are in the early stages. Mama is the first of this type of model that we've had enormous success with so there are more opportunities for this kind of film."
The model he is speaking of is the Universal Studios International co-production with Barbara Muschietti's company Toma 78, where the project was reconceived as an English-language Canadian-Spanish co-production. Universal had initially planned on making the film a Spanish-language production.
Mama has earned an impressive $89.2 million worldwide, with $68.2 coming from the U.S. The movie has yet to open in 43 key territories, such as UK, »
Similar News ItemsUniversal Pictures [us]
- ‘Kong: Skull Island’ Stomps to No. 1 on Home-Video Charts (From Variety - Film News. 27 July 2017, 11:50 AM, PDT)
- Will Packer Crafts Content Production Pact for ‘All Screens’ (From Variety - TV News. 25 July 2017, 6:11 PM, PDT)
- Will Packer, Discovery, Universal partner on production venture (From ScreenDaily. 25 July 2017, 12:25 PM, PDT)
Guillermo del Toro
- Newswire: This year’s Venice Film Festival is packed to the gills with big premieres (From The AV Club. 27 July 2017, 12:27 PM, PDT)
- Oscars: Venice, Telluride, Toronto Lineups Provide Awards Season Snapshot (From Variety - Film News. 27 July 2017, 9:25 AM, PDT)
- Susan Sarandon to Receive Grand Honorary Award at Sitges 2017 (From Screen Anarchy. 27 July 2017, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Trailer Watch: A City is Forever Changed in Kathryn Bigelow’s “Detroit” (From Women and Hollywood. 27 July 2017, 11:00 AM, PDT)
- Janelle Monáe and Elle Fanning Front Tiffany & Co.'s New Ads, Jessica Chastain Joins Ralph Lauren Fragrances and More Style News (From PEOPLE.com. 26 July 2017, 4:17 PM, PDT)
- Toronto International Film Festival 2017 Sparks Oscar Buzz (From Backstage. 26 July 2017, 8:00 AM, PDT)