Andrés Muschietti’s Mama may yet to have opened here in the UK (it hits this Friday, our review Here), but the film’s huge stateside success has Universal Pictures pondering a return for the supernatural guardian. The films’ producer, Guillermo del Toro, spotted Muschietti’s own, terrifying 3-minute short and tapped the filmmaker to make it full-length. Since it’s release in January, Mama, has went on to gross almost $90 million on a budget of around $15 million.
Unsurprisingly, Universal are now looking at pimping Mama out in a follow-up, although the studio’s international president, David Kosse, states:
We think there’s potential for a Mama franchise. We’d like to do another one. But those conversations are in the early stages.
- Craig Hunter
Similar News ItemsUniversal Pictures [us]
- Jean-Claude Van Damme's Timecop is Getting a Remake (From Worst Previews. 22 May 2013, 7:20 PM, PDT)
- 'Timecop' reboot in the works at Universal (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 22 May 2013, 6:31 PM, PDT)
- Van Damme's 'Timecop' getting the reboot treatment from Universal (From Hitfix. 22 May 2013, 6:26 PM, PDT)
"Game of Thrones" (2011)
- AMC Hopes “The Walking Dead” Never Ends (From Famous Monsters of Filmland. 22 May 2013, 5:09 PM, PDT)
- The Numbers Station exclusive clip and blinkbox giveaway (From Flickeringmyth. 22 May 2013, 2:50 PM, PDT)
- 'American Horror Story' and 'The Big Bang Theory' lead Critics' Choice TV Award nominees (From Zap2It - From Inside the Box. 22 May 2013, 11:10 AM, PDT)
Guillermo del Toro
- Pacific Rim Featurette Teaches You About Some Of The Film's Coolest Tech (From Cinema Blend. 22 May 2013, 6:39 PM, PDT)
- Titanic & Inglourious Basterds Actors Join FX’s The Strain (From Boomtron. 22 May 2013, 4:42 PM, PDT)
- A New "Pacific Rim" Shot (From SneakPeek. 22 May 2013, 4:29 PM, PDT)