U.S. Magistrate Judge Ronald L. Ellis has blocked New York City from getting footage shot by documentarian Ken Burns while doing research for his movie about the five men exonerated in a case of an investment banker who was attacked and raped while jogging in Central Park in 1989.
The judge ruled that the city did not show a reason that trumped the rights of freedom of speech and the press when it requested outtakes and other footage from the film "The Central Park Five."
The city's request is connected to a $250 million lawsuit the men filed against the city nine years ago after a man already in jail for other crimes confessed to the jogger attack and DNA evidence support his confession. The city maintains that the film is a one-sided depiction of the events.
The lawyer for the city says in a statement, "While journalistic privilege under the law is very important, »
Similar News ItemsKen Burns (I)
- Film Review: ‘Olympic Pride, American Prejudice’ (From Variety - Film News. 3 August 2016, 5:02 PM, PDT)
- The Legend of Tarzan and Free State of Jones movies review: enough with the white saviors (From FlickFilosopher. 1 August 2016, 8:53 AM, PDT)
- Ken Burns On PBS Docu ‘Defying The Nazis’: “I Didn’t Shoot A Single Interview” – TCA (From Deadline TV. 28 July 2016, 3:07 PM, PDT)
The Central Park Five (2012)
- If You Were Confounded By ‘Making a Murderer’ You Should Watch ‘The Central Park Five’ (From ShadowAndAct. 22 June 2016, 11:30 AM, PDT)
- Here's What You're Watching on Netflix This Month (From Hitfix. 21 June 2016, 12:48 PM, PDT)
- All These Movies Are Disappearing From Netflix on July 1 (From BuzzSugar. 21 June 2016, 9:20 AM, PDT)
Sarah Burns (VII)
- If You Missed It, Watch Ken Burns' 4-Hour Comprehensive Documentary on Life of Jackie Robinson Now! (From ShadowAndAct. 15 April 2016, 10:36 AM, PDT)
- Will 'Jackie Robinson' add to Ken Burns's Emmy haul?' (From Gold Derby. 13 April 2016, 12:34 PM, PDT)
- Ken Burns zooms in on Jackie Robinson: baseball great and civil rights hero (From The Guardian - TV News. 11 April 2016, 9:04 AM, PDT)