New York — The scene: Tehran's Mehrabad airport, January 1980. Six U.S. diplomats, disguised as a fake sci-fi film crew, are about to fly to freedom with their CIA escorts. But suddenly there's a moment of panic in what had been a smooth trip through the airport.
The plane has mechanical difficulties and will be delayed. Will the Americans be discovered, arrested, even killed? CIA officer Tony Mendez, also in disguise, tries to calm them. Luckily, the flight leaves about an hour later.
If you saw the film "Argo," no, you didn't miss this development, which is recounted in Mendez's book about the real-life operation. It wasn't there because director Ben Affleck and screenwriter Chris Terrio replaced it with an even more dramatic scenario, involving canceled flight reservations, suspicious Iranian officials who call the Hollywood office of the fake film crew (a call answered just in time), and finally a heart-pounding »
Similar News ItemsSteven Spielberg
- Interview: Scott Frank Talks 'A Walk Among the Tombstones,' The Western He's Dying To Make, And More (From The Playlist. 19 September 2014, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- ‘Godzilla’ Sequel To Be Scripted By Max Borenstein (From Deadline New York. 18 September 2014, 5:22 PM, PDT)
- DreamWorks Taps Lyndsay Harding as CFO (From Variety - Film News. 18 September 2014, 12:13 PM, PDT)
- Listen: Trent Reznor Previews ‘Gone Girl’ Soundtrack On Nine Inch Nails Website (From The Playlist. 20 September 2014, 4:50 PM, PDT)
- Trent Reznor Previews Ominous 'Gone Girl' Soundtrack (From Rolling Stone. 20 September 2014, 3:23 PM, PDT)
- 'Gone Girl': Trent Reznor Previews Eerie Soundtrack (From Access Hollywood. 20 September 2014, 2:47 PM, PDT)
- Xavier Dolan's 'Mommy' Selected As Canada's Official Oscar Entry (From The Playlist. 19 September 2014, 11:18 AM, PDT)
- Matthew McConaughey Explores A Watery World In New Poster For Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar' (From The Playlist. 19 September 2014, 10:25 AM, PDT)
- Craig Ferguson Names His Worst Guest Ever (From Hitfix. 19 September 2014, 10:25 AM, PDT)