New York — A federal judge on Tuesday blocked New York City from getting footage gathered by documentary filmmaker Ken Burns in research for his movie about the five men exonerated in the Central Park jogger rape case.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Ronald L. Ellis said the city had failed to show him a concern so compelling to trump the "precious rights of freedom of speech and the press" when it last fall requested outtakes and other materials from the film "The Central Park Five."
The request was connected to a $250 million federal lawsuit filed by the men against the city nine years ago after their sentences were vacated. The attack on a 28-year-old investment banker occurred in April 1989, when she was found in the park after being beaten and raped while jogging. She was in a coma for 12 days and was left with permanent damage. The men were exonerated after »
Similar News ItemsKen Burns (I)
- City of Gold | 2015 Sundance Film Festival Review (From ioncinema. 28 January 2015, 6:00 AM, PST)
- ‘Birdman’ Wins Producers Guild Award for Best Movie (From Variety - TV News. 24 January 2015, 8:18 PM, PST)
- ‘Birdman’ Wins Producers Guild Award for Best Movie (From Variety - Film News. 24 January 2015, 8:18 PM, PST)
The Central Park Five (2012)
- Jump Cut Launches Print Advertising Division, Hires Creative Director (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 20 October 2014, 8:15 AM, PDT)
- DVD/Blu-Ray Deals: Marilyn Monroe, Ken Burns Documentaries, Marvel, HBO Gift Sets, and More (From Collider.com. 16 September 2014, 8:42 AM, PDT)
- DVD/Blu-Ray Deals: Marilyn Monroe, Ken Burns Documentaries, Marvel, HBO Gift Sets, and More (From Collider.com. 14 September 2014, 7:16 AM, PDT)
Sarah Burns (VII)
- Central Park Five Agree to Settle Suit for $40 Million (From International Documentary Association. 20 June 2014, 12:01 PM, PDT)
- Ken Burns: Central Park Five $40 Mil Settlement Brings ‘Closure’ (From Variety - Film News. 20 June 2014, 6:47 AM, PDT)
- 'Breaking Bad,' 'Scandal,' 'The Story of Film' Among This Year's Peabody Award Winners (From Thompson on Hollywood. 2 April 2014, 11:14 AM, PDT)