Paul Risker continues his Terry Gilliam retrospective...
Brazil is the film that best represents the pinnacle of Gilliam’s career, and if not it would certainly feature in any such discussion. If I am permitted to express my subjective opinion, then I would land on the side of it being his masterpiece, comparable to both Orson Welles’ Citizen Kane, and David Lynch’s Blue Velvet; Gilliam and Brazil are synonymous with one another.
For John Scalzi, president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, Brazil is a “dystopian satire.” Gilliam believes it is a comic book movie without the traditional superheroes, addressing the themes explored within comic books. The director has suggested that it is a documentary, the Communist totalitarian rule of the Soviet Union never far from Gilliam’s mind whilst making the film. I however, have always perceived Brazil as a companion piece to Orson Welles’ The Trial. »
- Flickering Myth
Similar News ItemsUniversal Pictures [us]
- ‘Despicable Me 3’ Secures Release Date in China (From Variety - Film News. 24 May 2017, 11:05 AM, PDT)
- Final ‘Despicable Me 3’ trailer lands a month from release (From The Hollywood News. 24 May 2017, 10:39 AM, PDT)
- More From "The Mummy" (From SneakPeek. 24 May 2017, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Oliver Stone Makes the Jump to Scripted Television with ‘Guantanamo’ (From Slash Film. 22 May 2017, 1:30 PM, PDT)
- Spike Lee on Dwayne Johnson for President, 'Do the Right Thing' Legacy and Netflix Backlash in France (From The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News. 21 May 2017, 10:00 PM, PDT)
- 'Alien: Covenant': Katherine Waterston on Becoming a Next-Gen Action Hero (From Rolling Stone. 20 May 2017, 7:19 AM, PDT)
David Lynch (I)
- Here’s Why The Man From Another Place Didn’t Return For The ‘Twin Peaks’ Revival (From The Playlist. 24 May 2017, 1:30 PM, PDT)
- Twin Peaks, Season 3, Episodes 1-4: Sculpting in Time (From Filmmaker Magazine. 24 May 2017, 12:42 PM, PDT)
- ‘Dirty Dancing’ Review: ABC Musical Event Is Decidedly Not Worth Your Time (From Indiewire. 24 May 2017, 10:53 AM, PDT)