As I am perpetually two years behind whatever is cool and zeitgeisty on the teevee, I've not been watching this new Netflix joint, "House Of Cards." Which is probably to my detriment. Our own Howard Fineman has been watching the show, and he describes an artful and innovative depiction of "the competition for power for its own sake." And just this weekend, I was at a party where an old friend of mine spoke thrillingly of byzantine plots and cagey backstabbing -- Washington as the setting for the polite bloodlust of brilliant political chess masters.
Which must be why so many people in Washington are into this show: For the escapist fantasy!
In reality, we have the House of Senate, and there's no way of describing those people's machinations without briefly wondering if the word "moron" is strong enough. They are on recess now, having ended their current session by »
- Jason Linkins
Similar News ItemsGeorge W. Bush
- Us drama spending $11 million in Nsw (From IF.com.au. 22 October 2014, 6:49 PM, PDT)
- Neil Patrick Harris was 4th choice to host Oscars — after Ellen, Chris Rock, Julia Louis-Dreyfus (From Hitfix. 22 October 2014, 9:24 AM, PDT)
- TV Review: Amazon’s ‘Alpha House,’ Season 2 (From Variety - TV News. 22 October 2014, 9:00 AM, PDT)
John McCain (I)
- ‘The View's’ Nicolle Wallace Reveals When She Lost Faith in Sarah Palin (Video) (From The Wrap. 22 October 2014, 1:26 PM, PDT)
- 19 Times Amy Poehler Said What We Wish We'd Said (From Popsugar. 20 October 2014, 11:30 AM, PDT)
- Giveaway – Win Parks and Recreation Seasons One, Two, Three, Four & Five (From Flickeringmyth. 12 October 2014, 3:30 AM, PDT)
- Christopher Lloyd Sets Sail With Indie Drama ‘The Boat Builder’ (From Deadline New York. 13 August 2014, 2:17 PM, PDT)
- Leon Panetta's 'Zero Dark Thirty' Secret (From Rolling Stone. 11 December 2013, 11:15 AM, PST)
- Leon Panetta Revealed Secret Info To 'Zero Dark Thirty' Screenwriter (From The Hollywood Reporter. 11 December 2013, 8:00 AM, PST)