Sony Music UK chairman and CEO Nick Gatfield has admitted the label has relied on The X Factor too much over the past few years.
The music boss confessed that, although the talent show is a great process for signing new talent, the label failed to put further efforts into developing artists outside the show.
"My mandate from my boss was, 'We've got to turn the UK back into a domestic repertoire powerhouse'," Gatfield told Cbi.
"It had lost its way in terms of domestic A&R. We also needed to become a strong exporter of talent and fuel the Sony machine globally with British talent."
"Every one of our competitors would want the platform that The X Factor delivers, »
Similar News ItemsSimon Cowell (I)
- Simon Cowell working on Dragons' Den style show (From Virgin Media - TV. 14 March 2014, 2:15 AM, PDT)
- Simon Cowell's Girlfriend Lauren Silverman Shows Off Her Slim Post-Baby Body in a Sheer Top—See the Pic! (From E! Online. 12 March 2014, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- Simon Cowell 'begged' Cheryl Cole to return to X Factor (From Virgin Media - TV. 12 March 2014, 4:00 AM, PDT)
"The X Factor" (2004)
- Fox 2013-14 Season Ratings [updated 3/14/14] (From TVSeriesFinale. 14 March 2014, 2:20 PM, PDT)
- Cheryl Cole and Simon Cowell in X Factor promo: "It changed my life" (From Digital Spy - TV news. 14 March 2014, 6:12 AM, PDT)
- TV Scorecard: What's Coming Back Next Season . . . and What's Not (From BuzzSugar. 14 March 2014, 5:30 AM, PDT)
- One Direction, Robin Thicke 'Talk Dirty' With Jason Derulo (From Access Hollywood. 13 March 2014, 4:04 PM, PDT)
- Niall Horan Parties without Harry Styles, Zayn Malik, Louis Tomlinson and Liam Payne of 1D (From National Ledger. 13 March 2014, 11:42 AM, PDT)
- One Direction, Robin Thicke, Ariana Grande and More "Talk Dirty" in Jason Derulo's Lip-Synch Video—Watch! (From E! Online. 13 March 2014, 11:39 AM, PDT)