Two low-budget films, one from Romania and the other from Bosnia, take top prizes for portrayals of post-communist life
Eastern European film-makers basked in the limelight at the weekend after two low-budget pictures snapped up the top prizes at Berlin's international film festival.
The Berlinale's first prize, the Golden Bear, was awarded to a quasi-documentary-style Romanian film, Pozitia Copilului, or Child's Pose, directed by Calin Peter Netzer, a standard-bearer for the critically acclaimed new wave of film-making in his country. Starring Luminita Gheorghiu in a fearsome performance, the film tells the story of a mother's desperate and often illegal attempts to save her son from prosecution after he knocks down and kills an impoverished teenager.
Netzer said it reflected the "moral malaise of Romania's corruption-ridden middle classes". It also fitted the festival's penchant for delivering contemporary social drama with a strong political message.
The Bosnian documentary drama An Episode in »
- Kate Connolly
Similar News ItemsNicolas Cage
- Nicolas Cage Tells Tye Sheridan Snakes Kill in New ‘Joe’ Clip (Video) (From The Wrap. 7 March 2014, 2:36 PM, PST)
- Nicolas Cage Charms Snakes in First 'Joe' Clip (From MovieWeb. 7 March 2014, 1:46 PM, PST)
- Nicolas Cage shows off his snake in the latest clip from Joe (From JoBlo. 7 March 2014, 11:49 AM, PST)
- Uma Thurman In Talks For American Ultra (From We Got This Covered. 8 March 2014, 3:39 AM, PST)
- Godzilla's Origin Revealed; Textless Artwork! (From Dread Central. 7 March 2014, 12:30 PM, PST)
- Top 200 Most Anticipated Films for 2014: #6. Olivier Assayas’ Clouds of Sils Maria (From ioncinema. 7 March 2014, 7:00 AM, PST)
- Re-Viewed: Terry Gilliam's prescient sci-fi Brazil (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 8 March 2014, 1:30 AM, PST)
- Looking back at The Baker Street Boys (From Den of Geek. 18 February 2014, 7:53 AM, PST)
- Top 200 Most Anticipated Films for 2014: #110. Kristian Levring’s The Salvation (From ioncinema. 18 February 2014, 5:45 AM, PST)