Two low-budget films, one from Romania and the other from Bosnia, take top prizes for portrayals of post-communist life
Eastern European film-makers basked in the limelight at the weekend after two low-budget pictures snapped up the top prizes at Berlin's international film festival.
The Berlinale's first prize, the Golden Bear, was awarded to a quasi-documentary-style Romanian film, Pozitia Copilului, or Child's Pose, directed by Calin Peter Netzer, a standard-bearer for the critically acclaimed new wave of film-making in his country. Starring Luminita Gheorghiu in a fearsome performance, the film tells the story of a mother's desperate and often illegal attempts to save her son from prosecution after he knocks down and kills an impoverished teenager.
Netzer said it reflected the "moral malaise of Romania's corruption-ridden middle classes". It also fitted the festival's penchant for delivering contemporary social drama with a strong political message.
The Bosnian documentary drama An Episode in »
- Kate Connolly
Similar News ItemsNicolas Cage
- Crowd-Pleasing Hits Pepper Walk of Fame Honoree Brett Ratner’s Resume (From Variety - Film News. 19 January 2017, 10:00 AM, PST)
- Competition: Win an ‘Army of One’ Blu-ray & iTunes code! (From Blogomatic3000. 18 January 2017, 9:01 AM, PST)
- ‘Die Hard’ Director John McTiernan Returns After 14 Years With ‘Ghost Recon Wildlands’ Trailer (From The Film Stage. 18 January 2017, 4:45 AM, PST)
- There Will Be No New Ghost In The Shell Trailer This Week (From We Got This Covered. 17 January 2017, 5:13 PM, PST)
- French-Moroccan Actor Assaad Bouab Broadens His Canvas (From Variety - Film News. 16 January 2017, 10:31 AM, PST)
- Paramount To Debut New Trailer For Ghost In The Shell Later This Week (From We Got This Covered. 16 January 2017, 7:17 AM, PST)
- Taboo Season 1 Episode 2 Review: Rogue's Gallery (From TVfanatic. 17 January 2017, 9:17 PM, PST)
- How to Identify the Four 'Peak Tom Hardy' Types (From Rolling Stone. 17 January 2017, 9:46 AM, PST)
- Tom Hardy series 'Taboo' sells to Spain, Russia, Nordic territories (From ScreenDaily. 17 January 2017, 7:47 AM, PST)