Two low-budget films, one from Romania and the other from Bosnia, take top prizes for portrayals of post-communist life
Eastern European film-makers basked in the limelight at the weekend after two low-budget pictures snapped up the top prizes at Berlin's international film festival.
The Berlinale's first prize, the Golden Bear, was awarded to a quasi-documentary-style Romanian film, Pozitia Copilului, or Child's Pose, directed by Calin Peter Netzer, a standard-bearer for the critically acclaimed new wave of film-making in his country. Starring Luminita Gheorghiu in a fearsome performance, the film tells the story of a mother's desperate and often illegal attempts to save her son from prosecution after he knocks down and kills an impoverished teenager.
Netzer said it reflected the "moral malaise of Romania's corruption-ridden middle classes". It also fitted the festival's penchant for delivering contemporary social drama with a strong political message.
The Bosnian documentary drama An Episode in »
- Kate Connolly
Similar News ItemsNicolas Cage
- New VOD and Streaming Movies, Plus: Find 'Gone Girl' at Home Three Weeks Before Disc (From Movies.com. 23 December 2014, 9:30 PM, PST)
- Why Hollywood Isn’t Freaking Over Bummer 2014 Box Office (From The Wrap. 23 December 2014, 5:56 PM, PST)
- 10 Things You Might Not Know About the Oscar Best Picture Race (From The Wrap. 23 December 2014, 11:53 AM, PST)
- 1,000 Times Goodnight | DVD Review (From ioncinema. 23 December 2014, 8:00 AM, PST)
- Peter Debruge’s Top 10 Films of 2014 (From Variety - Film News. 17 December 2014, 1:26 PM, PST)
- Olivier Assayas’ ‘Sils Maria’ Wins Louis Delluc Prize (From Variety - Film News. 16 December 2014, 11:23 AM, PST)
- First trailer and poster for Woman in Gold starring Helen Mirren, Ryan Reynolds and Daniel Bruhl (From Flickeringmyth. 24 December 2014, 12:40 AM, PST)
- Trailer And Poster For Woman In Gold (From TheMovieBit. 23 December 2014, 9:47 AM, PST)
- Helen Mirren And Ryan Reynolds Star In First Trailer For WWII Drama Woman In Gold (From We Got This Covered. 22 December 2014, 2:49 PM, PST)