A blacklisted screenwriter who later named names to Communist hunters during the McCarthy era has died in California. Richard Collins was 98.
His son, Michael Collins, tells the Los Angeles Times that Collins died Thursday of pneumonia in Ventura.
Collins was one of 19 writers and directors called by the House Un-American Activities Committee in 1947 in a probe of supposed Communist subversion in Hollywood. He wasn’t asked to testify but 10 who refused to answer questions about their beliefs were jailed in what has widely been called a witch hunt.
Collins was subpoenaed again in 1951 and identified more than 20 colleagues as Communist sympathizers. »
- Associated Press
Similar News Items"Matlock" (1986)
- Better Call Saul episode 6 review: Five-o (From Den of Geek. 11 March 2015, 1:57 AM, PDT)
- Better Call Saul Review: “Five-o” (Season 1, Episode 6) (From We Got This Covered. 9 March 2015, 10:05 PM, PDT)
- Better Call Saul episode 5 review: Alpine Shepherd Boy (From Den of Geek. 4 March 2015, 1:07 AM, PST)
- 'Twin Peaks'' Log Lady on the cast's fierce loyalty: 'We stick behind David' (From Hitfix. 19 May 2015, 11:31 AM, PDT)
- James Best, Sheriff on ‘Dukes of Hazzard,’ Dies at 88 (From Variety - TV News. 7 April 2015, 2:54 PM, PDT)
- James Best, Sheriff on ‘Dukes of Hazzard,’ Dies at 88 (From Variety - Film News. 7 April 2015, 2:54 PM, PDT)
Richard Collins (II)
- Ashley Greene's Straight Sleek Hair: Get the Look from the Wish I Was Here Premiere (From Us Weekly. 24 June 2014, 7:41 AM, PDT)
- Blu-ray Review: Dated ‘Riot in Cell Block 11’ is Beautifully Filmed (From HollywoodChicago.com. 2 June 2014, 1:13 PM, PDT)
- Trailers from Hell Starts a 'Riot in Cell Block 11' (From Thompson on Hollywood. 30 April 2014, 8:17 AM, PDT)