A blacklisted screenwriter who later named names to Communist hunters during the McCarthy era has died in California. Richard Collins was 98.
His son, Michael Collins, tells the Los Angeles Times that Collins died Thursday of pneumonia in Ventura.
Collins was one of 19 writers and directors called by the House Un-American Activities Committee in 1947 in a probe of supposed Communist subversion in Hollywood. He wasn’t asked to testify but 10 who refused to answer questions about their beliefs were jailed in what has widely been called a witch hunt.
Collins was subpoenaed again in 1951 and identified more than 20 colleagues as Communist sympathizers. »
- Associated Press
Similar News Items"Matlock" (1986)
- Level 33 Entertainment Gets a Compound Fracture (From Dread Central. 29 October 2013, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- Sinead Keenan's favourite TV (From The Guardian - TV News. 23 September 2013, 4:00 AM, PDT)
- Roadside Attractions Becomes Kissing Cousin for “Therese”, Stratton’s Pic Finally Receives Support (From ioncinema. 28 August 2013, 11:35 AM, PDT)
- Paul Mantee, Popular Character, Dead At Age 82; Starred In "Robinson Crusoe On Mars" (From CinemaRetro. 20 November 2013, 3:49 PM, PST)
- Al Ruscio, Character Actor and Acting Teacher, Dies at 89 (From Variety - Film News. 14 November 2013, 7:09 PM, PST)
- Al Ruscio, Character Actor and Acting Teacher, Dies at 89 (From Variety - TV News. 14 November 2013, 7:09 PM, PST)
Michael Collins (LXIII)
- Mel Smith obituary (From The Guardian - Film News. 21 July 2013, 4:00 PM, PDT)
- Mel Smith obituary (From The Guardian - TV News. 21 July 2013, 4:00 PM, PDT)
- Mel Smith remembered: 'A gentleman and a scholar, a gambler and a wit' (From The Guardian - TV News. 20 July 2013, 6:20 PM, PDT)