Tom Jolliffe on the female acting performances criminally overlooked by the Academy for Oscar recognition...
It’s often said that the men in the acting world, particularly Hollywood, have monopolised the best roles. Most biopics are about great (or heinous) men from history. We see more heroes than we see heroines and so on. Some actresses do their level best to break down the wall that often greets them, such as Meryl Streep. That said there are often some truly memorable performances by the ladies which still get overlooked by the Academy, unless of course you’re Meryl Streep, who can get an Oscar nomination just by getting out of bed in the morning!
Here are a few of the sadly overlooked...
Spacek has had a fantastic career, often portraying characters with a quiet complexity that thoroughly transfixes the audience. The film which brought her to attention, »
- Flickering Myth
Similar News ItemsStar Wars (1977)
- ‘Ex Machina’ Trailer: Two New ‘Star Wars’ Stars Play With a Robot (From Slash Film. 3 March 2015, 10:30 AM, PST)
- 'Ex Machina' Trailer: Oscar Isaac Builds a Female Cyborg (From MovieWeb. 3 March 2015, 9:22 AM, PST)
- Watch: Sexy Robot Alicia Vikander Wows Two 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Stars In New U.S. Trailer For ‘Ex Machina’ (From The Playlist. 3 March 2015, 8:57 AM, PST)
James Cameron (I)
- Is Michael Biehn Set To Return As Corporal Hicks For Neill Blomkamp’s Alien Sequel? (From We Got This Covered. 3 March 2015, 8:50 AM, PST)
- Neill Blomkamp’s Alien 5: Everything You Need To Know (From Obsessed with Film. 3 March 2015, 6:29 AM, PST)
- Why isn't sci-fi taken seriously by the Oscars? Chappie team's verdict (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 3 March 2015, 1:30 AM, PST)
- George Clooney Jokes That Amal Is the "Smart One" (From Popsugar. 3 March 2015, 11:38 AM, PST)
- David Letterman Discovers His Son’s Hidden Talent (From Vulture. 3 March 2015, 10:18 AM, PST)
- James Corden on Taking Over ‘The Late Late Show’ and Winning Over America (From Variety - TV News. 3 March 2015, 10:00 AM, PST)