Tom Jolliffe on the female acting performances criminally overlooked by the Academy for Oscar recognition...
It’s often said that the men in the acting world, particularly Hollywood, have monopolised the best roles. Most biopics are about great (or heinous) men from history. We see more heroes than we see heroines and so on. Some actresses do their level best to break down the wall that often greets them, such as Meryl Streep. That said there are often some truly memorable performances by the ladies which still get overlooked by the Academy, unless of course you’re Meryl Streep, who can get an Oscar nomination just by getting out of bed in the morning!
Here are a few of the sadly overlooked...
Spacek has had a fantastic career, often portraying characters with a quiet complexity that thoroughly transfixes the audience. The film which brought her to attention, »
- Flickering Myth
Similar News ItemsStar Wars (1977)
- 142 days until Star Wars: This kid's review of 'The Empire Strikes Back' is spot on (From Hitfix. 29 July 2015, 4:10 PM, PDT)
- 'Star Wars 7' Has Few Shots That Are Completely CGI (From MovieWeb. 29 July 2015, 3:21 PM, PDT)
- Star Wars Live-Action TV Update: Netflix Bound! (Exclusive) (From Cinelinx. 29 July 2015, 12:31 PM, PDT)
James Cameron (I)
- Looking back at Michael Crichton's Runaway (From Den of Geek. 29 July 2015, 9:45 AM, PDT)
- Reels on Reels: Is Hollywood Taking Over the Slot Machine Market? (From SoundOnSight. 29 July 2015, 9:03 AM, PDT)
- Adam Sandler’s ‘Pixels’ Fizzle Highlights Sony Pictures’ Identity Crisis (From The Wrap. 26 July 2015, 4:41 PM, PDT)
- You Might Not Recognize These Stars in Their Yearbook Pictures (From Popsugar. 28 July 2015, 12:30 PM, PDT)
- The man who brought Chucky to life has died (From Hitfix. 28 July 2015, 11:46 AM, PDT)
- Meryl Rocks Out In New Trailer For Ricki And The Flash! (From TheMovieBit. 28 July 2015, 11:28 AM, PDT)