The BBC is pulling out all the stops for the 50th birthday of sci-fi institution "Doctor Who," announcing that this year's anniversary special will be broadcast in 3D and also shown in cinemas in the U.K.
The as-yet-untitled special is expected to air Nov. 23 in the U.K., the same day that the Doctor's first adventure was broadcast. The BBC has also commissioned a TV movie about the behind the scenes story of bringing "Doctor Who" to television.
The 3D broadcast is a first for "Who." Details of the special remain under wraps and it's unclear if BBC America will follow suit with the 3D broadcast.
"It's about time," "Who" executive producer Steven Moffat punned in a statement. "Technology has finally caught up with 'Doctor Who' and your television is now bigger on the inside. A whole new dimension of adventure for the Doctor to explore."
"Doctor Who »
Similar News Items"Doctor Who" (2005)
- Strictly Come Dancing 2015 lineup rumours: Which celebrities could take part this year? (From Digital Spy - TV news. 28 August 2015, 1:58 AM, PDT)
- 11 brilliant TV deleted scenes you might have missed, from Doctor Who to Game of Thrones (From Digital Spy - TV news. 27 August 2015, 11:00 PM, PDT)
- Turbo Kid review [FrightFest 2015]: “More fun than Mad Max: Fury Road” (From The Hollywood News. 27 August 2015, 7:15 PM, PDT)
BBC America [us]
- 120 Ending or Cancelled TV Shows for the 2014-15 Season (From TVSeriesFinale. 28 August 2015, 8:02 PM, PDT)
- ‘Orphan Black,’ ‘Transparent,’ ‘Mindy Project’ Set for PaleyFest New York (From Variety - TV News. 26 August 2015, 12:59 PM, PDT)
- Comic Book Review – Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency #3 (From Flickeringmyth. 26 August 2015, 4:09 AM, PDT)
Steven Moffat (I)
- Steven Moffat: 'Only the BBC would have come up with Doctor Who' (From The Guardian - TV News. 28 August 2015, 11:01 PM, PDT)
- Great British Bake Off's Sue Perkins had a "fiery" confrontation with the culture secretary over BBC cuts plan (From Digital Spy - TV news. 27 August 2015, 6:08 PM, PDT)
- Andrew Scott: 'Sherlock fans aren't nuts, they're passionate and I like that' (From Digital Spy - TV news. 27 August 2015, 4:01 PM, PDT)