The BBC is pulling out all the stops for the 50th birthday of sci-fi institution "Doctor Who," announcing that this year's anniversary special will be broadcast in 3D and also shown in cinemas in the U.K.
The as-yet-untitled special is expected to air Nov. 23 in the U.K., the same day that the Doctor's first adventure was broadcast. The BBC has also commissioned a TV movie about the behind the scenes story of bringing "Doctor Who" to television.
The 3D broadcast is a first for "Who." Details of the special remain under wraps and it's unclear if BBC America will follow suit with the 3D broadcast.
"It's about time," "Who" executive producer Steven Moffat punned in a statement. "Technology has finally caught up with 'Doctor Who' and your television is now bigger on the inside. A whole new dimension of adventure for the Doctor to explore."
"Doctor Who »
Similar News Items"Doctor Who" (2005)
- Doctor Who Portrait Series by Tim Doyle (From GeekTyrant. 18 April 2014, 9:08 AM, PDT)
- TV highlights 18/04/2014 (From The Guardian - TV News. 17 April 2014, 11:00 PM, PDT)
- Ryan Gosling’s ‘Lost River’ To Screen At Cannes & First Image! (From The Hollywood News. 17 April 2014, 12:18 PM, PDT)
BBC America [us]
- Can "Orphan Black's" Second Season Clone the First's Success? (From Indiewire Television. 18 April 2014, 11:52 AM, PDT)
- Orphan Black's Jordan Gavaris Spills on Felix's Amazing Assless Chaps, a New Love Connection and More (From E! Online. 18 April 2014, 11:05 AM, PDT)
- Don’t Miss: Farewell Matt Smith! (From Kasterborous. 18 April 2014, 8:00 AM, PDT)
Steven Moffat (I)
- What to Watch: Tonight's TV Picks - The Trip to Italy, Nurse Jackie (From Digital Spy - TV news. 18 April 2014, 4:00 AM, PDT)
- New BBC America series explores “The Real History of Science Fiction” (From ChannelGuideMag. 16 April 2014, 9:23 AM, PDT)
- Doctor Who: 8 Matt Smith Era Problems The New Series Should Improve Upon (From Obsessed with Film. 16 April 2014, 3:15 AM, PDT)