The BBC is pulling out all the stops for the 50th birthday of sci-fi institution "Doctor Who," announcing that this year's anniversary special will be broadcast in 3D and also shown in cinemas in the U.K.
The as-yet-untitled special is expected to air Nov. 23 in the U.K., the same day that the Doctor's first adventure was broadcast. The BBC has also commissioned a TV movie about the behind the scenes story of bringing "Doctor Who" to television.
The 3D broadcast is a first for "Who." Details of the special remain under wraps and it's unclear if BBC America will follow suit with the 3D broadcast.
"It's about time," "Who" executive producer Steven Moffat punned in a statement. "Technology has finally caught up with 'Doctor Who' and your television is now bigger on the inside. A whole new dimension of adventure for the Doctor to explore."
"Doctor Who »
Similar News Items"Doctor Who" (2005)
- The Flash Director May Helm Captain Marvel (From We Got This Covered. 25 July 2016, 5:30 PM, PDT)
- The Flash And Legends Of Tomorrow Director Being Eyed For Captain Marvel? (From ComicBookMovie. 25 July 2016, 4:44 PM, PDT)
- Torchwood: talks afoot to bring it back to TV (From Den of Geek. 25 July 2016, 12:21 AM, PDT)
BBC America [us]
- Comic-Con 2016: Syfy Renews Wynonna Earp for a Second Season (From DailyDead. 26 July 2016, 7:24 AM, PDT)
- 127 Ending or Cancelled TV Shows for the 2015-16 Season (From TVSeriesFinale. 24 July 2016, 5:12 PM, PDT)
- Max Landis Penning Pepé Le Pew Movie, Alongside Slew of Other Projects (From Indiewire. 24 July 2016, 1:59 PM, PDT)
Steven Moffat (I)
- Comic-Con 2016: Biggest Hits and Misses From the TV Panels (From Variety - TV News. 25 July 2016, 2:51 PM, PDT)
- ‘Sherlock’ season 4 trailer unveiled at Comic Con (From The Hollywood News. 25 July 2016, 1:32 AM, PDT)
- Did You Miss Me? First Sherlock Season 4 Teaser Unveils A Familiar Threat (From We Got This Covered. 24 July 2016, 12:09 PM, PDT)