The first Chicago bar I drank in was the Old Town Ale House. That bar was destroyed by fire in the 1960s, the customers hosed off, and the Ale House moved directly across the street to its present location, where it has been named Chicago's Best Dive Bar by the Chicago Tribune.
I was taken to the Ale House by Tom Devries, my fellow college editor from the Roosevelt Torch. It was early on a snowy Sunday afternoon. I remember us walking down to Barbara's Bookstore to get our copies of the legendary New York Herald-Tribune Sunday edition. Pogo. Judith Crist. Tom Wolfe. Jimmy Breslin. I remember peanut shells on the floor and a projector grinding through 16mm prints of Charlie Chaplin shorts. I remember my first taste of dark Löwenbräu beer. The Ale House was cool even then.
I returned to the North Avenue drinking scene on New Year's Eve »
- Roger Ebert
Similar News ItemsBarack Obama
- 'The Fault In Our Stars' author John Green delivers Butler commencement speech (From Twilight Examiner. 18 May 2013, 11:47 AM, PDT)
- Romney Blasts Obama, Tells Leno: ‘Not A Fan Of The President’, Blames Obama For IRS Targeting (From Mediaite - TV. 18 May 2013, 9:43 AM, PDT)
- New Film Celebrates Street Ball (From Huffington Post. 18 May 2013, 8:33 AM, PDT)
- Roger Ebert’s 50 Greatest Film Reviews (From Obsessed with Film. 16 May 2013, 10:43 AM, PDT)
- Oak Cliff Film Fest Adds End Of The Road, Shadow Of The Bat-man, McCabe & Mrs. Miller And More (From Twitch. 15 May 2013, 2:00 PM, PDT)
- Christian Bale, Natalie Portman in 'Knight of Cups' first image (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 15 May 2013, 5:09 AM, PDT)
- Julianne Moore Opens Up About Playing A Divorced Mom (From Huffington Post. 16 May 2013, 12:44 PM, PDT)
- Saabs, Croesus, and Pre-Wars: A Glossary for the New Vampire Weekend Album (From Vulture. 16 May 2013, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Barbara Walters: See Pictures Of Her Outstanding Career (From HollywoodLife. 13 May 2013, 8:16 AM, PDT)