The first Chicago bar I drank in was the Old Town Ale House. That bar was destroyed by fire in the 1960s, the customers hosed off, and the Ale House moved directly across the street to its present location, where it has been named Chicago's Best Dive Bar by the Chicago Tribune.
I was taken to the Ale House by Tom Devries, my fellow college editor from the Roosevelt Torch. It was early on a snowy Sunday afternoon. I remember us walking down to Barbara's Bookstore to get our copies of the legendary New York Herald-Tribune Sunday edition. Pogo. Judith Crist. Tom Wolfe. Jimmy Breslin. I remember peanut shells on the floor and a projector grinding through 16mm prints of Charlie Chaplin shorts. I remember my first taste of dark Löwenbräu beer. The Ale House was cool even then.
I returned to the North Avenue drinking scene on New Year's Eve »
- Roger Ebert
Similar News ItemsBarack Obama
- Silenced (From CultureCatch. 4 March 2015, 10:51 PM, PST)
- Hannity, Giuliani Are Wrong: ‘Most Americans’ Stand with Obama, Not Bibi on Iran (From Mediaite - TV. 4 March 2015, 7:43 PM, PST)
- Family Guy Characters Cover "Uptown Funk" in a Truly Impressive Fashion (From BuzzSugar. 4 March 2015, 4:29 PM, PST)
- Mexico’s Rising Stars, Volker Schlondorff, John Cooper, Michael Nyman at 2015’s ArteCareyes (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 3 March 2015, 8:25 AM, PST)
- Richard Lagravenese on His ‘Rude Awakening’ to Hollywood (From Variety - Film News. 27 February 2015, 10:00 AM, PST)
- Ballet 422 – The Review (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 26 February 2015, 8:46 PM, PST)
- Ringling Bros. to Nix Elephant Acts; PETA Still Not Happy (From The Wrap. 5 March 2015, 10:50 AM, PST)
- 17 Perks of Having Taylor Swift as Your Godmother (From Entertainment Tonight. 2 March 2015, 11:26 AM, PST)
- American Sniper trial: Eddie Ray Routh found guilty of Chris Kyle murder (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 25 February 2015, 1:20 AM, PST)