Last year, the Oxford Dictionary Online added a bunch of popular words including lolz, ridic and vajazzle, but there are still some feelings and experiences no English word can quite describe. Here are some foreign words that might help you convey all the nuances of your love or frightening obsession this Valentine's Day.
Mamihlapinatapai (Yaghan language of Tierra del Fuego) — This is the most succinct word, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, and it describes a look shared by two people who are both waiting for each other to make the next move. As long as no one caves, it can be an endless source of sexual tension.
The mamihlapinatapai between Jim and Pam was an enjoyably frustrating storyline of early seasons of "The Office."
Retrouvailles (French) — Literally translated as "rediscovery," retrouvailles is the happiness of reuniting with someone after a long separation. Long-distance relationships wouldn't fare well without it. »
- Katy Hall
Similar News ItemsNatalie Portman
- Berlin Film Festival: Where to Stay, What to Eat, What to Do (From The Hollywood Reporter. 30 January 2015, 8:00 AM, PST)
- SquareOne aquires Woman In Gold for Germany, Austria (From ScreenDaily. 30 January 2015, 7:16 AM, PST)
- Stars' Real Names Revealed! You Won't Believe What Their Parents Called Them (From PEOPLE.com. 30 January 2015, 5:35 AM, PST)
- Film Review: Efficient Submarine Adventure 'Black Sea' Offers Classic Thrills (From HollywoodChicago.com. 30 January 2015, 5:50 PM, PST)
- ‘Black Sea’ Interview with Director Kevin Macdonald (From Scorecard Review. 30 January 2015, 3:52 PM, PST)
- Interview: Director Kevin Macdonald Gets Under His ‘Black Sea’ (From HollywoodChicago.com. 29 January 2015, 5:58 PM, PST)
- The Definitive Movies of 1995 (From SoundOnSight. 30 January 2015, 8:01 PM, PST)
- Sundance: Screen Media Snatches 'Ten Thousand Saints' (From Thompson on Hollywood. 30 January 2015, 6:23 PM, PST)
- Sundance: Emile Hirsch Movie ‘Ten Thousand Saints’ Acquired by Screen Media Films (From The Wrap. 30 January 2015, 2:21 PM, PST)