The zombie drama attracted 12.3 million viewers in its initial 9 p.m. broadcast, making it the most-watched episode in series history. Previously, "The Walking Dead's" highest-rated episode was its Season 3 fall premiere, which notched 10.9 million viewers.
The midseason premiere garnered 7.7 million viewers in the coveted 18-49 demographic, the highest key-demo viewership totals for any telecast in basic cable history, according to AMC. Including later encore replays, it a total of 16.6 million people tuned in to see "The Walking Dead" return.
The numbers were even more impressive considering "The Walking Dead" was going up against the 2013 Grammy Awards, which had 28.4 million people tuning in on CBS.
"When you look at numbers like this, the first thing that comes to mind is how grateful we are to the fans of this show. They embrace 'The Walking Dead' »
- Alex Moaba
Similar News Items"The Walking Dead" (2010)
- Inspiring Teenager Uses His Disability for Hilarious Zombie Pranks (From FEARnet. 13 December 2013)
- Uncle Creepy's Blu Christmas Buyer's Guide 2013 (From Dread Central. 12 December 2013, 5:00 PM, PST)
- 2014 Screen Actors Guild Awards nominations announced (From Flickeringmyth. 12 December 2013, 3:16 PM, PST)
- 30 Things We Learned from the Breaking Bad Writer’s Room at the Writers Guild Foundation (From Collider.com. 4 December 2013, 9:52 AM, PST)
- Frank Darabont Looks Ahead to ‘Mob City’ After Tense ‘Walking Dead’ Departure (From Variety - TV News. 28 November 2013, 9:00 AM, PST)
- ‘Breaking Bad’ Writers to Reunite for Writers Guild Foundation Event (From Variety - TV News. 25 November 2013, 3:05 PM, PST)
American Movie Classics (AMC) [us]
- AMC Inks Overall Deal With ‘Low Winter Sun’s Chris Mundy (From Deadline TV. 10 December 2013, 9:23 AM, PST)
- 'Walking Dead' mid-season finale scores whopping 12.1 million viewers (From Hitfix. 2 December 2013, 1:45 PM, PST)
- 12.1 Million Viewers Tune In for The Walking Dead Season 4 Mid-Season Finale (From DailyDead. 2 December 2013, 12:27 PM, PST)