From MTV News
Melissa McCarthy's headlining debut in "Identity Thief" made for a box office surprise this past weekend. The comedy, which also stars Jason Bateman, opened to an impressive $36.5 million, beating out the returning champion, "Warm Bodies," and Steven Soderbergh's final theatrical effort, "Side Effects."
The zombie romance did, however, manage to hold onto a decent box office haul, adding $11.5 million to its total, which currently sits at $36.6 million.
"Side Effects," which stars Rooney Mara, Jude Law, and Channing Tatum, opened to $10 million, well below the impressive start for Soderbergh's previous film, "Magic Mike." The stripper drama made for a surprise hit, taking in over $100 million in the Us last year.
Head over to MTV News for your full box office report.
- MTV Movies Team
Similar News ItemsChanning Tatum
- Watch the first 10 minutes of Foxcatcher (From Flickeringmyth. 27 February 2015, 7:30 AM, PST)
- See Every Star on This Year's Oscars Red Carpet! (From Popsugar. 27 February 2015, 2:40 AM, PST)
- Win Oscar Nominee 'Foxcatcher' on Blu-ray (From Indiewire. 26 February 2015, 9:31 AM, PST)
- New Focus Movie Received Mixed Reviews From Major Critics (From OnTheFlix. 28 February 2015, 12:11 PM, PST)
- Focus | Review (From SmellsLikeScreenSpirit. 28 February 2015, 7:30 AM, PST)
- Focus Review (From TheMovieBit. 28 February 2015, 4:30 AM, PST)
- Robin Hood: Origins script being shopped around by Knights of the Round Table writer (From Flickeringmyth. 27 February 2015, 6:27 AM, PST)
- Is Catch Me Daddy's street-casting an antidote to Britain's toff-actor problem? (From The Guardian - Film News. 26 February 2015, 10:18 AM, PST)
- Video: Jude Law Explains Why He Turned Down Playing Superman (From Slash Film. 23 February 2015, 2:00 PM, PST)