From MTV News
Melissa McCarthy's headlining debut in "Identity Thief" made for a box office surprise this past weekend. The comedy, which also stars Jason Bateman, opened to an impressive $36.5 million, beating out the returning champion, "Warm Bodies," and Steven Soderbergh's final theatrical effort, "Side Effects."
The zombie romance did, however, manage to hold onto a decent box office haul, adding $11.5 million to its total, which currently sits at $36.6 million.
"Side Effects," which stars Rooney Mara, Jude Law, and Channing Tatum, opened to $10 million, well below the impressive start for Soderbergh's previous film, "Magic Mike." The stripper drama made for a surprise hit, taking in over $100 million in the Us last year.
Head over to MTV News for your full box office report.
- MTV Movies Team
Similar News ItemsChanning Tatum
- Ellen DeGeneres Sends Her "Average" Producer to Learn How to Dance Like Magic Mike (From Popsugar. 21 October 2016, 7:53 AM, PDT)
- Jennifer Grey Reveals the Actors She’d Cast as Baby and Johnny in a Dirty Dancing Remake (From PEOPLE.com. 19 October 2016, 4:27 PM, PDT)
- Van Helsing Lands Season 2 Order At Syfy (From We Got This Covered. 14 October 2016, 1:52 PM, PDT)
- ‘Jack Reacher: Never Go Back’ Director Talks Importance of Strong Female Characters in Blockbusters (From Indiewire. 21 October 2016, 8:30 AM, PDT)
- Hilary Swank: Male Costar Was Offered 20x My Pay After I Won My Second Oscar (From Indiewire. 21 October 2016, 7:32 AM, PDT)
- ‘Manchester By the Sea,’ ‘Moonlight,’ and ‘Paterson’ Lead the 2016 Gotham Awards Nominations (From The Film Stage. 20 October 2016, 7:24 AM, PDT)
- Notes on Blindness; Behemoth; The Boss; Gods of Egypt and more – review (From The Guardian - Film News. 23 October 2016, 12:00 AM, PDT)
- ‘The Boss: Unrated’ DVD Review: Melissa McCarthy Is The Boss, The Movie Isn’t (From Uinterview. 22 October 2016, 6:26 PM, PDT)
- Gilmore Girls Fan Fest: 8 Behind-the-Scenes Stories From Friday's Panel (From TVLine.com. 21 October 2016, 6:03 PM, PDT)