From MTV News
Melissa McCarthy's headlining debut in "Identity Thief" made for a box office surprise this past weekend. The comedy, which also stars Jason Bateman, opened to an impressive $36.5 million, beating out the returning champion, "Warm Bodies," and Steven Soderbergh's final theatrical effort, "Side Effects."
The zombie romance did, however, manage to hold onto a decent box office haul, adding $11.5 million to its total, which currently sits at $36.6 million.
"Side Effects," which stars Rooney Mara, Jude Law, and Channing Tatum, opened to $10 million, well below the impressive start for Soderbergh's previous film, "Magic Mike." The stripper drama made for a surprise hit, taking in over $100 million in the Us last year.
Head over to MTV News for your full box office report.
- MTV Movies Team
Similar News ItemsChanning Tatum
- What a Link. What a Lovely Link (From FilmExperience. 28 November 2015, 5:03 PM, PST)
- Magic Mike Xxl: stripping the storyline down to the bare bones (From The Guardian - Film News. 28 November 2015, 1:00 AM, PST)
- Gambit: 4 Reasons It Could Be Awesome (And 4 Why It Could Suck) (From Obsessed with Film. 27 November 2015, 1:31 PM, PST)
- Magic Mike Xxl; Ant-Man; Jessica Jones; Joe & Caspar Hit the Road; River; Listen to Me Marlon – review (From The Guardian - Film News. 29 November 2015, 12:00 AM, PST)
- The Knick, Ep. 2.07, “Williams and Walker” (From SoundOnSight. 28 November 2015, 3:13 PM, PST)
- ‘The Knick': Andre Holland on Season 2, Algernon, Steven Soderbergh, and More (From Collider.com. 27 November 2015, 3:01 PM, PST)
- HBO, Sky Extend Exclusive Deal to Include Germany, Italy, Austria (From Variety - TV News. 12 November 2015, 12:18 AM, PST)
- 12 Things We Learned From Terry Gilliam's Wild Memoir (From Rolling Stone. 9 November 2015, 11:52 AM, PST)
- What's New on TV, Netflix Streaming, Digital, and DVD/Blu-ray This Week: November 9-15 (From Moviefone. 9 November 2015, 1:00 AM, PST)