From MTV News
Melissa McCarthy's headlining debut in "Identity Thief" made for a box office surprise this past weekend. The comedy, which also stars Jason Bateman, opened to an impressive $36.5 million, beating out the returning champion, "Warm Bodies," and Steven Soderbergh's final theatrical effort, "Side Effects."
The zombie romance did, however, manage to hold onto a decent box office haul, adding $11.5 million to its total, which currently sits at $36.6 million.
"Side Effects," which stars Rooney Mara, Jude Law, and Channing Tatum, opened to $10 million, well below the impressive start for Soderbergh's previous film, "Magic Mike." The stripper drama made for a surprise hit, taking in over $100 million in the Us last year.
Head over to MTV News for your full box office report.
- MTV Movies Team
Similar News ItemsChanning Tatum
- 'Imitation Game' wins the festival and 7 other takeaways from Telluride 2014 (From Hitfix. 1 September 2014, 10:28 PM, PDT)
- 5 Summer Box Office Takeaways: Marvel Rules, China Rises and Stars Matter (From Variety - Film News. 1 September 2014, 10:37 AM, PDT)
- Tiff 2014: Top Ten Most Anticipated Movies at the 2014 Toronto Film Festival (From Rope Of Silicon. 1 September 2014, 8:40 AM, PDT)
- 'Magic Mike 2' Underway with Steven Soderbergh Lensing (From Rope Of Silicon. 1 September 2014, 9:46 PM, PDT)
- Filming Begins On "Magic Mike Xxl" (From Dark Horizons. 1 September 2014, 9:34 PM, PDT)
- Magic Mike Xxl Shares First Shot Of Production (From Cinema Blend. 1 September 2014, 3:12 PM, PDT)
- 12 lessons we learned from 2014's summer movies (From EW.com - PopWatch. 30 August 2014, 7:05 AM, PDT)
- DC superhero movies that never got the greenlight (From Den of Geek. 27 August 2014, 3:26 AM, PDT)
- The Essential Films & TV to Stream This Week – August 26th 2014 (From HeyUGuys. 26 August 2014, 3:30 AM, PDT)