From MTV News
Melissa McCarthy's headlining debut in "Identity Thief" made for a box office surprise this past weekend. The comedy, which also stars Jason Bateman, opened to an impressive $36.5 million, beating out the returning champion, "Warm Bodies," and Steven Soderbergh's final theatrical effort, "Side Effects."
The zombie romance did, however, manage to hold onto a decent box office haul, adding $11.5 million to its total, which currently sits at $36.6 million.
"Side Effects," which stars Rooney Mara, Jude Law, and Channing Tatum, opened to $10 million, well below the impressive start for Soderbergh's previous film, "Magic Mike." The stripper drama made for a surprise hit, taking in over $100 million in the Us last year.
Head over to MTV News for your full box office report.
- MTV Movies Team
Similar News ItemsChanning Tatum
- Quentin Tarantino Adds Three To The Hateful Eight (From EmpireOnline. 25 January 2015, 7:48 PM, PST)
- Most Anticipated Blockbusters of 2015 (That Aren’t Already Hyped to Death) (From SoundOnSight. 25 January 2015, 5:57 PM, PST)
- Sundance 2015: Jack Black's 'The D-Train' is the Ultimate Bromance (From FirstShowing.net. 24 January 2015, 7:36 PM, PST)
- Johnny Depp’s ‘Mortdecai’ Mortifies Critics: 8 Terrible Reviews That Will Make You Understand Why (From The Wrap. 23 January 2015, 10:44 AM, PST)
- The Noteworthy: "The Limits of American Cinephilia", Coens in Cannes, Soderbergh's "2001" (From MUBI. 22 January 2015, 2:22 PM, PST)
- Sundance Exclusive: Angels Get Armed In Poster For Bruce McDonald's Midnight Movie 'Hellions' (From The Playlist. 22 January 2015, 2:16 PM, PST)
- 2015 SAG Awards winners and nominees (From Hitfix. 25 January 2015, 4:14 PM, PST)
- ‘American Sniper’ Shoots Past $200M, ‘Mortdecai’ Nosedives At $4.1M – Sunday Final (From Deadline New York. 25 January 2015, 7:43 AM, PST)
- Box Office: 'American Sniper' Soars While 'Mortdecai' and 'Strange Magic' Flop (From Rope Of Silicon. 25 January 2015, 7:27 AM, PST)