From MTV News
Melissa McCarthy's headlining debut in "Identity Thief" made for a box office surprise this past weekend. The comedy, which also stars Jason Bateman, opened to an impressive $36.5 million, beating out the returning champion, "Warm Bodies," and Steven Soderbergh's final theatrical effort, "Side Effects."
The zombie romance did, however, manage to hold onto a decent box office haul, adding $11.5 million to its total, which currently sits at $36.6 million.
"Side Effects," which stars Rooney Mara, Jude Law, and Channing Tatum, opened to $10 million, well below the impressive start for Soderbergh's previous film, "Magic Mike." The stripper drama made for a surprise hit, taking in over $100 million in the Us last year.
Head over to MTV News for your full box office report.
- MTV Movies Team
Similar News ItemsChanning Tatum
- Joss Whedon Provides ‘Avengers 2′ Scoop (From Deadline TV. 25 May 2013, 12:21 PM, PDT)
- Joss Whedon Explains New ‘Avengers’ Characters On Fallon (Video) (From Variety - Film News. 25 May 2013, 11:31 AM, PDT)
- New Poster for White House Down (From GeekTyrant. 25 May 2013, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- Cannes' Queer Palm Goes to Sexually Graphic Drama (From Alt Film Guide. 25 May 2013, 6:09 PM, PDT)
- Cannes: Palme d’Or Race Looks Wide-Open (From Variety - Film News. 25 May 2013, 5:56 PM, PDT)
- Cannes celebrates the movie mavericks (From The Guardian - Film News. 25 May 2013, 4:06 PM, PDT)
- See This Skip, That: From Fast & Furious 6 to The Hangover Part III - Your Weekend Movie Plan (From PEOPLE.com. 24 May 2013, 1:45 PM, PDT)
- Natalie Portman’s ‘Jane Got A Gun’ Heading For U.S. Sale (From Variety - Film News. 24 May 2013, 11:56 AM, PDT)
- HollywoodChicago.com Hookup: 5 Blu-ray, DVD Combo Packs to ‘Side Effects’ With Channing Tatum, Rooney Mara (From HollywoodChicago.com. 23 May 2013, 11:03 AM, PDT)